'98 Honda Accord blowing fuses

I have a '98 Honda Accord EX, 4cylender-VTEC engine. I am having a problem with the fuse that is tied to my brake lights, and allows me to take the car out of park. The fuse is burning out every time that I use the horn. I have been on line and I have seen the same problem posted several time, but no answer on how to fix it. Does any one know what this problem is, and how to fix it? Thank you for your help.

Reply to
rthomason11

-------------------------

When did this start, and have you been in any accidents or replaced any taillight bulbs recently? Do you carry nasty things (like scrap steel bits)in your trunk?

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

If the fuse blows everytime you use the horn then the problem lies in the horn circuit. Does the horn sound or does the fuse blow right away? I would start by disconnecting each horn ( two located between the bumper and rad/condenser) one at a time and see if the fuse still blows.

Reply to
Grahame

The problem lies between the driver's seat and the steering wheel. I think I used my horn a couple of times in 11 years of driving when I accidentally hit my butt on the steering wheel picking stuff from the rear seats. In the normal urban driving the horn is just about as useful as a pogo whip. I imagine that in a situation when the horn is actually useful Accord won't be.

Reply to
Body Roll

"Body Roll" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@f16g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

I can tell you don't live in New York City.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

/any/ city! audible warnings are fitted to vehicles for a reason.

Reply to
jim beam

It may not apply, but one of my brothers had the problem - don't recall if it was in his Mitsubishi (Dodge Colt) or the early Accord he had - that the fuse always blew if he hit the horn while braking. It turned out the fuse was not rated for the combined drain of the brake lights plus the horn. Huh.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

jim beam wrote in news:veidnaBk5Mnf5sPYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net:

I dunno. LA is big, but is also pretty quiet and civilized.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

jim beam wrote in news:veidnaBk5Mnf5sPYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net:

Hey,some people don't use their turn signals either.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Jim Yanik wrote in news:Xns987EF03EDB059jyanikkuanet@

129.250.170.85:

That's what the middle finger is for. :)

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Disconnect the horn temporarily to see it the actual horn is the problem and trace backwards from there.

If it still blows with the horn disconnected, it might be whatever feeds that horn (wire, relay, etc).

Reply to
Remco

----------------------------------

One of my favorite bumper stickers:

_Caution: Horn broken, watch for hand gestures._

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

Exactly! Just a couple of hours ago some guy would have backed right into the front end of my '98 Accord if I hadn't practically laid down on the horn button. This happened at a crowded convenience store, and the guy didn't check his rear view or side mirrors before he started to back up--let alone look over his shoulder. So, the horn saved me some body work hassles. Thank God for that horn!

Ron M.

Reply to
Ron M.

I thought around there cars come from the factory equipped with cab drivers. Maybe just for well off Manhattanites?

Reply to
Body Roll