Headlight switch illumination

I have a 2004 Dodge Grand Caravan that I bought used and just noticed that the headlight switch and the electric mirror switchs are not lit. When I pulled out the assembly exposing the backside, I can see what appears to be a spot for 3 bulbs in the circuit board. Was this an oversight at the assembly plant or did Dodge decide we didn't need to see those switches at night?

DC

Reply to
DC

It is caused by keeping costs down! they deem you do not need them anymore. My 2003 is the same. Same reason my liftgate has one lamp on the right, but the put in a blank on the right. If you look there it is also wired for a second light.

Reply to
David

So then my next question would be is how hard would it be for me to go to a junk yard, get what i need and wire it myself. How far back in years would I have to go to fine car/van that's got a lit switch assy? I wouldn't think this would be too hard to do.

DC

Reply to
DC

You could just wire it to your headlamp switch itself. You will not be able to go back in years, as that swith is for 2001 - 1005 models. Previous model year swill not fit. However, a T&C Limited more then likely has the lighted switch. Anyway you stated there was a bulb holder in the switch??? You could go to the parts department at a dealership and see if there is a parts listing fo a bulb for the switch, or bulb/holder assembly. that may be all you need.

Reply to
David

You mentioned the T&C. Would a 2004 T&C work? I did call the parts dept., at my local Dodge dealership and they said to bring the assy in and maybe they could fix it up with lights. What I have is two access holes in the light switch and one in the mirror control switch. All three holes clearly expose the circuit board. It also appears that the light bulbs would push into that circuit board and turn a quarter turn to lock them in. Does that sound right?

DC

Reply to
DC

Sounds like the lights for the overhead console. It is a bulb and holder assembly. Does the openings in the circuit board have a copper ring around the edges? If so, it is for a bulb and holder assembly. A 2004 should fit, but check one at a dealers used car lot to make sure it lights up! Anyway, it is probably cheaper to get the bulb and holder assembly then purchasing a switch assembly. And make sure if you go the way of a t&C switch it is for a loaded t&c, the T&C also has a low line model that would be the same as yours.

Reply to
David

Yes, the openings have a copper ring arond the edges and small slots

180 degrees apart. I sure appreciate the information. Thanks.

DC

Reply to
DC

perfect! .You'll need the bulb with the holder attached. I don't know the size of the bulb needed though. It could very well be the same size as the overhead console map lights. If so you can try them. Let me know if they are the same light.

Reply to
David

They MIGHT use a very common, bayonet-mount lamp socket, holding an all-glass, wedge-type bulb.

-GP

Reply to
Curtis