Electric Windows

In my 98 300 tdi Disco the rear windows never worked unless the car was in motion. They never worked when it was started first and only kicked in later in the journey. If I turn off the engine and start again it is the same. Wait for a bit and then they work again. However now the period I have to wait seems to be extending and I can not be sure when they will kick in at all.

Is there a motion detector on the system or is it just playing up? If so any idea what I need to check or fix to make them work when I press the button.

While I am on the subject, is there anyone out there that can tell me where the lights in the switches are. Some work and others don=92t. I took the switches out today to see what bulbs I need but couldn=92t see any. Do I need to take the switch apart to replace the bulb?

Thanks

Hugh

Reply to
Hugh Hogan

Electric windows are controlled by window lift ECU which is mounted vertically behind the glovebox. It is the smaller black one which is leftmost. Removing it is a pain. I just unplug the two connectors, prise open the end of the plastic case and slide the circuit board out-and-down. Once out - it's a simple case of resoldering the relays. You'll see where the solder has cracked and become dry-joint. Resolder ALL the relays. Now simply slide it back in and all will work OK.

It's a 10 minute fix. A replacement ECU will cost around $400 here in Oz, that's if you could find somebody with them in stock.

We charge people about $100 for the repair and test of the ECU.

cheers, Craig.

oh.... as for the bulbs, they will look like a small flat button on the side of the switch. Turn the button about 1/8 or 1/4 turn and withdraw the bulb assembly. They are available as spare parts - some are green, some are orange. Should cost $2-3 each.

Reply to
Craig

On or around Mon, 25 May 2009 09:52:56 GMT, Craig enlightened us thusly:

pictures and guide here:

Austin Shackles