F53 headlight switch

Well, this may be my last attempt to get the headlight switch on the dashboard of our RV to light up. I got thre following ford switch part number from the coach manufacturer. F81B-11654. It's probably a 2"h X 3 1/2"w flat rectangle front with a rotary switch for the lights and a dimmer roller for the dash lights. However, the ford truck dealer parts person said I needed two or three letters after the last digit. I called the coach person back and he said that there were no more letters. He also said that he shined a penlight through the hole that looked like a bulb hole and nothing lit on the front of the switch. It looked like the hole opened up into the circuit board. So, that ends my ford parts person route. Also, they didn't have a F-350 switch in stock to look at. Before, I got too deep into this I'm now wondering how much these swirches cost. The parts dept is closed. Does anyone know what a F-350 headlight switch assembly would cost? Tim, Looking to expand Seniors (55 + ) Daytime Pool League

Reply to
Tim Dolan

I didn't check the dimensions, but that sounds like what I have on both a '93 F-150 and a '90 Bronco II. Neither one of them is illuminated. It doesn't bother me at all, I just reach to the top-left of the dashboard and there it is. On the truck the only other control nearby is the gas tank switch (it has dual tanks). On the Bronco II the rear defogger and wiper switches are below it. I've never had a problem with being unable to find it or with hitting the wrong switch. YMMV.

-D

Reply to
Derrick 'dman' Hudson

What number+letters etc does your switch have on it?

Sure enough. :) And my mileage is just plain-ass weird too. :)

I removed the light sockets from both my window washer/light switch panel and the heater/vent/fan speed/gas tank controls. Don't need that shit. :) Speedometer and gauge lights were retained and I'm sure all are lit and work. The blue high beam lens was written over inside with a black felt-tip which dimmed it just enough to make it perfect (what it shoulda been to start with;). The controls operate by feel just like the manual gear shift lever, clutch pedal, brake pedal, thottle pedal and steering wheel do.

LOL :)

Don't be looking down operating stuff like that ok? ;)

Alvin in AZ ps- The windshield sprayer push button now operates a Bendix 6V electric fuel pump instead. Makes starting the old clunker a lot quicker, no kidding on that. An old towel and a spray bottle of cleaner work better than that silly "windshield washer" ever did!

Reply to
alvinj

It has the letters AG. Since my last post, I went to another Ford dealer. Parts person was great. He found a bulb that fit into the switch. However, there was no power to the bulb. The RV manufacturer must've disabled or ommitted the 12v source. I then wired the tiny bulb and put it back into the recepticle and wired it to the heater control dash lights. Turned on the lights and the bulb lit but it did not light up the symbols. Like I originally thought, the white symbols are opaque and not tranluscent. Oh well. Tim, Looking to expand Seniors (55 + ) Daytime Pool League

Reply to
Tim Dolan

Tim Dolan, decides to chip in.

It would help if you would post the year of your F-350?? It might not be your headlight switch that is giving you the problem. I bought my headlight switch at NAPA auto parts for $19.50 if your going to buy it from FORD it could cost you 3-4 times more. If you having a headlight switch problem it would be best to check your fuses carefully. Specially #4 fuse the tan and white wire, its hot and if this fuse is burned it will make your headlight switch act very funny, like its defected. Check my new post "Useful Information"

Rich

Reply to
Rich