My turn... Quick question About '91 Grand Caravan <--Techs**

OK, I don't have the factory the service manual for this beast (yet), but I'm looking for some gas savings in it for the wife's sake....

Background: I have a scan-tool, which I have used to take some readings of the sensors in two different vehicles, '94 Eagle Vision (3.3L V6) and the above stated '91 Dodge Caravan (3.3L V6).

Facts: Sensor readings for the Injector Pulse Width in my Eagle (I have two readings, one for each bank) indicate that at idle it is 0.8 to 0.9 ms on both banks... The Caravan, only provides one reading, so I presume it's for all injectors (it only have on O2 sensor I believe), gives me am insane (so it seems) reading of a pulse width of 2.7 to 2.9 ms at idle.

Question(s): Is this normal? I doesn't seem like it. Seems extremely excessive to me, though it may be higher due to the single bank, instead of dual? They are both 3.3L V6's, though I know that doesn't necessarily mean anything... I would have thought that they would similar.

There were two codes set, can't recall one at the moment, but that other was AIS, shorted or (something). I have since cleared the codes, and no new codes have been set. According the scan tool, the AIS is working (moving), though it seems a little sluggish (takes a few seconds before it moves from high step number down to a lower number). I removed it and cleaned it up. Cleaned up the opening it goes into with some carb cleaner and a wire brush (at least I think I did, it's in a bad place, hard to see inside). Van runs a little smoother at idle, so it must have helped some, but did nothing for the pulse width at idle... Tell you the truth, when I give a slight pull on the throttle and hold it, it seems as if the pulse width actually _decreases_ despite that fact the engine is running at a higher RPM...

Any advice or information is welcome...

Reply to
FeMaster

I guess nobody has a clue?