Need source for an upstream (bank 1?) O2 sensor for a 04 Dodge Caravan (3.8L)

Need source for an upstream (bank 1?) O2 sensor for a 04 Dodge Caravan (3.8L)

The problem seems to be that this year and only this year model needs a heater resistor with a cold range of 2.1 to 2.7 ohms. The O2 sensors I've found have a cold resistance of ~ 6 ohms.

If there are none available are there is there a work around?

TIA

Reply to
NotMe

u c coskun

I did find out that Dodge had two sets of O2 sensors in the '04 model year. (first half were 2.7 ohm second half was ~ 6 ohm)

The aftermarket parts seem to be made for the vehicles manufactured in the other half of the year.

FWIW I've been through six sets of aftermarket O2 sensors and at least two sets of OEM direct from the dealer.

Parts last two to 5 days then tilt.

Reply to
NotMe

If you use a 2.7 ohm in place of a 6 ohm it will draw too much power. Using a 6 ohm in place of a 2.7 should not damage either the sensor or the computer, but it would quite possibly throw a code because the computer would assume, from the current draw, that the heater had gone open circuit. Have you actually measured the resistance of the "dead" sensor?

Reply to
clare

Try a 1998 - 2000 Hyundai Tiburon sensor. It is 2.1 ohms cold. Likely LOTS of other universal O2 sensors that would also fit.

Have you tried 2003 or 2002 Chrysler van?? The 2004 and newer may be using linear O2 sensors. 1996 to 2003 should all be the same.

Reply to
clare

Not tried substituting any other year parts as I don't want to buy any parts that I can't claim warranty. (I've done enough of that as it is)

As to linear O2 Sensors I'm not familiar with that nomenclature and don't know what if any difference there might be in the various O2 sensor themselves or what differerence that might make in the problem I'm fighting with.

I have confirmed that once the O2 sensor comes up to temp (with the heater open) the system works as though everything was good as far as mileage and performance is concerned.

I'm trying to find a set of four pronged plugs (male/female) so I can cut into the circuit to the O2 sensor and measure voltage and current as step 1 and then substitute a 6 ohm and a 2.7 ohm resistor to test for actual current for step 2 and 3.

Again I'll post the results when I get this fixed. (I have a feeling this is going to be one good war story to share over drinks some day)

Reply to
NotMe