Expensive O2 sensor

The service station manager claims that the "check engine" light was due to a faulty O2 sensor in my '02 Sienna XLE. Says the list price on that sensor is $395, plus $100 labor for installation. (Vehicle is out of warranty). Is his cost outrageous, or is that what any dealer would charge?

Thanks for any help.

Lena

Reply to
lenagainster

$395??? That's a bit on the high side. About $200 high, and that a conservative estimate. When I have bought O2 sensors for my cars, the cost was under $100, and they screw in just like a spark plug.

I have to wonder if this is the sort of thing that is covered by the emission system warranty. It's worth the call to find out.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I don't think so, the OX sensor is like a spark plug, part by itself maybe usd$50. I can't believe it's so hidden that it takes that much effort to replace. Get a second opinion.

Reply to
bobb

An O2 sensor should be covered by a 5 year, 50,000 miles emissions warranty in the U.S.

Was the service facility that gave you the price a Toyota dealer or someplace else? If it was not a Toyota dealer and your car is less than 5 years old and has less than 50,000 miles, take it to the dealer.

Reply to
Ray O

When I read the fine print in my warranty book, it is very specific about what is covered and for how long. All parts, including emission parts, are covered by the 3 year, 36000 mile warranty. There are exceptions on certain emission parts, for an 8 year 80000 mile coverage, but the O2 sensors are not included. And this is the same information the service manager at a local Toyota dealer told me. The only other way around would be to take the car to an emission inspection station, and if it fails, then Toyota would have to cover the cost. But the emission stations in MD will not do an unscheduled emission test.

Back to the original question: (should have asked the service manager); is the $395 list price on one of the sensors (Sensor One?) correct or over inflated?

Lena

Reply to
Lena

It's sounds on the money. Believe me, I've had three of them fail since I bought my '03 Camry. I also was told it was a 3year 36 month deal.

Luckily, I'm still covered. This last time, they also decided to replace the ECM under warranty, thinking it may have to due with the sensor problems. That's about $1,200 for the part. Hopefully you aren't headed that direction.

Reply to
timbirr

Oh, as an aside, you can get a cheaper aftermarket sensor -- maybe save $100, but I've heard mixed reviews on how reliable the Bosch is....

Reply to
timbirr

My newsreader is going haywire, so hope I am not triple posting.

For the OEM Toyota sensor that price is about right. I've gone through three of the little beasts. Lucky mine have all been under warranty. You can get an aftermarket Bosch "universal" sensor for less, but I've heard mixed reviews on the Bosch. But, then again, I've gone through three of the Toyota sensors in two years....

Reply to
timbirr

I would wonder why you are going through sensors like that. They are normally pretty reliable. Some things to check would be the use of RTV FIPG that is not O2 sensor friendly or a loose wire in the sensor circuit.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks for all the responses. A little more searching and I find that there are three O2 sensors; Bank 1 Sensor 1, Bank 1 Sensor 2 and Bank 2 Sensor 1. Don't know which one was determined to be faulty, or if the error code just says one of the O2 sensors is bad. The tech has to unplug a cable and read the resistance across certain wires (11 to 16 ohms). Replacing one of the sensors (Bank two, I think) requires removing the passenger seat and the carpeting to get at the sensor. These are "heated" sensors, which probably adds to the cost. I've had a basic O2 sensor replaced on a Chevy, and it is just like a spark plug, easy to get at and reasonably priced. Not so apparently with Toyota. And none of the preventive maintenance I've done could prevent this failure.

Lena

Reply to
Lena

If u thought Japanese are expensive, try owning one of them German cars.

Shop around, sounds like u can do better.

Reply to
bobb

For cheaper price on O2 sensor check with

luck, Vance

Reply to
vwu

I think the last time I checked the local dealer (before I started working for one) it was either $179 or $229 for the part and $40 installation... Well under $300...

Reply to
hachiroku

Then you have another problem.

Reply to
hachiroku

You sound pretty knowledgable; can you spin a wrench (or know someone who can?)

The seat is 4 14mm bolts that unscrew very easily; while you have them out put some anti-seize on them to make sure they come out the next time. Probably what they have to access is the connector; it runs through a slit in the carpet and has a rubber grommet attached to the wire. You might have to lift part of the carpet too, or there may be an access flap in the carpet. Basically this is why you are removing the seat. On my Tercel I had to remove the console, too.

The sensor is located under the passenger's seat (on the OTHER side of the floor) in the exhaust pipe, behind the catalytic converter. Because of the heating/cooling/heating/cooling these can be a BITCH to remove. I wound up bringing mine to a friend with a shop; he heated it with a torch and then we STILL had a bitch of a time getting it out!

All in all he charged me $20; it would have been $40 if I hadn't 'helped' (um, after the first inital turns of the wrech, he wound up prying it out...)

I used a Bosch O2 Sensor that ran about $120; I used the OEM type rather than the Universal.

Reply to
hachiroku

Yeah, I THINK I have finally convinced Toyota of that. This time they are replacing the ECU (which is what my independent mechanic thought should have been done when the second sensor failed). :>(

Reply to
timbirr

I doubt if the ECU is bad. I spoke with the folks who inspect ECUs returned for warranty repairs, and they found only 1 or 2 a year that were actually bad, and those were damaged from an accident or flooding or had bent contacts on the connector from plugging and unplugging the connector while testing.

More likely, something else is causing the O2 sensors to fail...

Reply to
Ray O