overfilled the DODGE 2003 GRAND CARAVAN during oil change

OH. That explains a lot!

The sloshing oil is climbing up the dipstick! Check the oil with the engine cold, before you start it. Then you'll get an accurate reading of what is in the crankcase!

Reply to
Hachiroku

As I have come to understand since then, Hydraulic Lock occurs when a fluid gets into the combution chamber. From what the Honda Manager told me, enough oil had gotten into the cylinders to cause Hydraulic Lock. I'm guessing it blew a seal or gasket somewhere.

What I do know for a fact is the engine was a mess! I started it and the OIL light came on, and I shut it off and saw oil spewing out onto the ground.

Reply to
Hachiroku

| > Good question Ken . Yes it does. I always start the engine and run it | > for a few minutes at idle just to make sure there are no leaks. Then I | > check the old level and it usually reads high by at least a half quart, | > maybe more. I don't even wait for oil to drain back into the crankcase, I | > just check the level to make sure it's okay and I didn't do something | > stupid. I like to see the nice clean oil on the dip stick. :-) | | | OH. That explains a lot! | | The sloshing oil is climbing up the dipstick! Check the oil with the | engine cold, before you start it. Then you'll get an accurate reading of | what is in the crankcase! | I really don't think there is any "sloshing oil" after the engine has stopped. Waiting a few minutes might give a more accurate reading, but waiting until the engine is cold is unnecessary.

Reply to
Don in San Antonio

Yeah, that too.

But as far as sloshing oil, the bottom end of the piston rods are bathed in oil, so some splashing does occur...

Reply to
Hachiroku

errr, "after the engine has stopped.."?

When you say "bathed", you do mean pressure fed, don't you?

Reply to
cavedweller

Not unless the engine is over-filled! Only lawnmower engines and other "splash" oiled engines dip the conrods into the oil.

Reply to
Steve

I dunno...I drive Toyotas, mostly. AFAIK, the bottom of the piston rods sit in the oil.

I was thinking about this suject today, and I remembered back when I was in my 20's (um, this was just a *few* years ago... ;)

A girl came up to a friend and I and said her car wouldn't start. She had an early 70's Mustang, a "Secretary Special", with a 6 cyl. You could here the solenoid actuating, everything seemed OK, but it just wouldn't crank. The other guy with me for some unknown reason pulled the dipstick, I guess to see if there was enough oil and trying to judge if the pistons had seized.

There was oil, alright! All the way up the spout! He asked her how so much oil got in the engine, and she said, "I dunno...I just have them put a quart in every time I get gas"...!

She thought cars burned oil as well as gas, and thought you had to add oil every time you added gas. We went back to my car and got my wrenches, and drained a quart...then another...then another...about 5 quarts. When it finally got to the FULL mark on the dipstick, we had her try it and the car started right up.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Likely not when the engine is running and the pump is feeding oil to the lube system. (or when the crankcase is overfull) In operation, "oiling" for the rod bearings is accomplished by pressure feed.via the cross drilled holes in the crankshaft journals.

Now that's a good one. I can just see the head of oil all the way back up to the top end!! So now we come back to visualizing a crankcase SO full that on cranking the pistons have nowhere to go on the BOTTOM and generate a hydrostatic lock. Hilarious!!

Reply to
cavedweller

We thought it was, too...we also showed her how to read a dipstick...

Crude comments removed! ;P

Reply to
Hachiroku

But wasn't that a thread about oil?