Oil Change Question

Hello everyone,

I just changed the oil in my sister's 08 Accord.While the manual said to fill 4.4 quarts of oil I ended up putting in 4.8 quarts as the 4.4 would have barely been over the low level mark on the dipstick. The 4.8 quarts is showing as 3/4 full from the high level mark on the dipstick. I took the car for a ride around a few blocks and was shocked to see the level had dropped even after letting it sit for a few minutes. I came back after an hr and noticed the level was back at the 3/4 mark, but I could barely see it on the dipstick. I'm wondering if it is because the oil is 5-20 that it doesn't sit on the dipstick long enough to read it? Also should I re-drain the oil and only put in what is recommended in the manual?

Thanks in advance, Nick

Reply to
nick

Leave it, you will not have any problems.

Reply to
Bentracer and Bentrider

I agree, leave it alone. In the future, I'd follow the manual even tho a little more oil shouldn't hurt anything.

Reply to
observer

In the "Specifications" section of the owner's manual (page

384 for the Sedan), note the stated spec for an oil change is 4.4 quarts. But this spec is "excluding the oil remaining in the engine." It says the total oil capacity is 5.2 quarts. I imagine if one lets the oil drip into the pan for awhile during the change, one will exceed the 4.4 quart "spec." Or if you did the oil change with the engine still kinda hot (which admittedly is pretty much what the manual specifies), more oil (especially as you suggest with lower viscosity oil) might come out.

Overfilled is not good for lubrication. IIRC foaming of the oil occurs when way too much is present, and so lubrication is not optimal. Indeed, there is a caution in the manual about how overfilling the engine (above the high mark on the dipstick) could damage it. I think the oil change section's mention that the amount for an oil change is 4.4 U.S. quarts is so one errs on the low side. Indeed, notice the final step says to check the dipstick and keep adding oil until [implied] its between the two marks on the dipstick.

I would continue monitoring the oil level for a few more days. But I suspect you're fine.

Aside: Did you follow the car's "Maintenance Minder" direction when you decided the car needed an oil change?

wrote

I suspect the oil went into the engine. It would have dropped even if you had not let it sit but instead checked right after driving.

Reply to
Elle

I checked the level today and it is still 3/4 to the full mark on the dip stick. This is the first time I had changed the oil in the newer Honda engines (other cars are 99 and 95 Accord and 05 Integra) and using 5-20W oil. It may be me but the oil is harder to read as the oil is thinner and lighter.

Also I changed the oil about 3 days after the 15% mark came up.

Nick

Reply to
nick