88 daytona

Hi I'm new to the group. I bought an 88 Dodge Daytona to save on gas. I was adult owned and not hacked up. The vital stats : 2.5L / 3spd auto / cruise / delay wipers/ t-top / 145k miles. So far it's not been too bad, except of this last problem. I flashed (with the high beams) a lady to let her merge into traffic and my high beams broke up and on!!! I believe that the switch in the steering column in broken - it is loose and no longer "clicks". My mechanic says it requires a special tool to work this problem and he is not interested in getting involved.

I'm fairly mechanically inclined and I have no idea what "special tool" he is talking about. I've also never had a steering column apart. the car is not drivable as it is, so please help! Thanks

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Hi Bob.. I recently let my '88 Daytona turbo go to another home, I'd had it for 9 years, and it provided excellent transportation. Regrettably, the body was beginning to go and it was entering "nickel and dime" mode, which I just don't have luxury of being able to deal with. Besides, my 1998 Monte Carlo Z-34 is almost as much fun to drive - and has more raw power. Anyway, back to your issue.. First thing to determine is whether or not this car has an air bag. If it does, I would not even begin to mess with it. If there's NO air bag, I'd say you should dig right in and see what the story is yourself. The center wheel padding/emblem is held on by screws in the back of the wheel. Start from there and just remove one piece at a time. You will need a steering wheel puller. I purchased mine for a whopping $10.00. If you're familiar with the design and purpose of such a tool, you could even make your own out of some bar stock. If you get to a certain point and can go no further, that is where you'll need the "special tool." Many car parts stores will lend you tools with a cash deposit. When you buy your replacement part, inquire about the tool. I've done several steering wheel pull/turn signal repair jobs, and while they were admittedly on older, less complicated cars, I can assure you that with the exception of the air bag issue, they haven't changed all that much...

Reply to
Ray