Rebuilt Intrepid 2.7L

New to this group so thanks for taking the time. Did a google search and see that everyone is well aware of the 2.7L problem. My wife's 01 Intrepid has

460 miles on the 2.7L I rebuilt in the driveway. Spun 2 rod bearings #5 & #6. I discovered a lot while rebuilding this engine and have many questions. Wish I'd had time to find out about the 3.2L swap before I started the rebuild. Oh well stuck with the 2.7 and syn 5w-30 oil once the break-in is finished.

I saw and figured out that much of the sludge problem was from oil circ and heat retention problems that "cooked" the oil. Confirmed much of this with some online searching over the last week. Small oil passages, and that cast al windage tray in the oil pan can't help. The short block I put in the car is supposed to have the increased size oil passages in the rods for better lube and cooling. What can I do to help out with cooling this engine down?

Is there a super high detergent oil out there that will help keep this thing cleaner? Is there an aftermarket oil cooler and is it worth it? I heard that Chrysler went to a 6 qt oil pan. Will it fit on my 01 Intrepid, is it a direct bolt in? Is there a slightly cooler thermostat, or would that mess with the emissions?

Also, now that I'm sensitive to the problem, I've noticed the engine compartment is sealed up tight as drum and runs hot, what with the cats and everything being under the hood. For the first few hundred miles I drove around with the support brace that goes between the strut towers left off. You could see the heat pouring out from under the hood. It's now back in place but I haven't put the plastic windshield trim back on yet. That still lets a little heat sneak by on the drivers side. I was thinking of cutting louvers into the strut support brace but that would weaken the brace. Any suggestions on how to get that heat out better?

Thanks Mark R

Reply to
Mark R

highest detergent oil I've ever seen was Kendall super D3......put in an engine that has had crap oil in it for a long time and watch out!!! ran it on a lot..........I mean a lot of cat equipment and never a problem.

have you also considered an oil cooler? just an idea. I know the older

2.7's were hard on oil, haven't heard much of the new ones.

Reply to
rob

Thanks Rob. Years ago (25) I remember installing one that was about a 1" thick disc that went between the oil filter and it's mounting pad. Is that still the standard? Has anyone put one of those on their 2.7? Anybody know if the oil pump / pick-up tube will handle the increased flow needs? I recall reading the occasional comment about a flow problem with the older pump and pick-up tube, not sure which I have.

Mark R

Reply to
Mark R