AM radio OK, FM does work in 98 Voyager

We have a 1998 Grand Voyager with the stock AM/FM/cassette radio. The AM radio works fine, however the FM tuner is not working -- all static, all the time, no matter what, even when manually trying to tune a station.

Is this a common problem? Could there be a loose connection somewhere, or something notorious with this model?

I'm trying to figure out if this is an easy fix or it the unit is history & its time to replace it.

Much thanks in advance for any advice.

Pat Caffrey Saugerties, NY

Reply to
patfcee

View this thread:

More then likely the radio is bad, you can check the antenna lead in the back of the radio but if you have AM and FM is out...so is the radio

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Glenn -- thanks for the quick reply....guess I need to go shopping.

Thanks again!!

Pat

Reply to
patfcee

Unless you've been looking for an excuse to upgrade your radio, check that antenna first like Glenn suggested. Even with a bad antenna the radio will still pick up good strong AM signals but without an antenna you could be parked right next to an FM station and still not get them at all. I'm an amateur radio operator and if I had a symptom like that the antenna is the first thing I'd check.

Mark R

Reply to
Mark R

Amateur radio operator!!! Help!!!! Tell me how to get rid of the static in my CB I just installed in my vehicle, its awfull!!! So much interferance from the blower motor and accessories. Can I shield the antenna with aluminum foil or something?

Reply to
maxpower

How are you wired, through the fuse panel? Most of that noise is probably coming in through your hot wire. Most Ham radios are wired directly to the battery with a fuse in both the hot and ground wire for protection. Moving your power leads directly to the battery may remove most of that noise. Years ago for a CB I had I remember installing a capacitor to eliminate alternator and ignition noise, but that was on an older car with a dual point system. It's been a while, I'll have to look into it again.

Mark R

Reply to
Mark R

interferance

At first I thought maybe it was due to the running the lead to the fuse panel so I ran them to the battery, same thing, then I went to get a filter, which I am taking back because it didnt work either, ran the filter to the battery and then radio to the filter, same thing....Its an antenna thing!! When I disconnect the antenna lead the noise drops off about 80 %. So I was wondering if there is a way to shield the antenna cable with some kind of alluminum foil or by routing it outside the vehicle then back in , if that would help?

Reply to
maxpower

hey glen........how's your solder joints on the antenna connections? poor solder joints are a bear

Reply to
rob

Antenna cable is usually coaxial: signal carrying wire in the middle, with a shield completely surrounding it. If the shield is not properly grounded, the shielding is ineffective. Use an ohmmeter to check that the shield is indeed grounded, before doing anything else.

Reply to
Curtis

Yep, the shield should be grounded to the case of your radio. You could also add a separate ground wire from the case to the car chassis. Also make sure you don't get any reading on your meter between the center wire and the outer shielding of the cable. Check the cable both alone and with the antenna connected to it. If you can find a friend, or a friend of a friend who is a ham ,you might be able to talk him into throwing an SWR meter on your antenna and checking it out for you.

Mark R

Reply to
Mark R

All parts are brand new. good grounds and good connections

Reply to
maxpower

I had purchased one of those too and set the SWR, Me personnally, I think its a cheap antenna

Reply to
maxpower

was curious as I used to solder my own...get them wrong and it works like crap.

good to know you got some good ones though.

Reply to
rob

One other thought, with all the cell phones, pagers, computers, and every company in the world using two way comms, there is an awful amount of interference possibilities out there. Heck even bad street lamps and electrical transforms will mess things up. And then there is Broadband over Power Lines internet service that puts out a wide spectrum spray of interference that can all but wipe out communications in the amateur bands, and CB is included in that spread. If your area is one of the test markets for BPL you may be SOL.

Mark R

Reply to
Mark R