Stratus Transmission

I just read Consumer Reports Annual Auto Issue and saw a black circle next to the transmission of a 2004 Dodge Stratus. Of course that means the transmission is a trouble area on this particular vehicle.

I read the maintanence schedule and it says to change the transmission fluid at 60,000 miles or within 5 years.

Should I have the fluid flushed and replaced before the recommended interval avoid to possible future problems? The car has 33,000 miles on it.

Has anyone on this board had good or bad luck with the Stratus transmission? Any advice???

Also, the major engine problems (2.7)are rated above normal with a red circle but the minor engine problems are rated below normal with the old black dot. I wonder what they consider minor?

Reply to
bernsax

If well maintained the transmission will last without troubles.

Thats typical but for the cost of servicing its well worth it to change the fluid more often. It just doesn't cost enough to wait so long. I change mine every 20,000 miles. Never had any troubles at all on any of my Dodges.

Yes, 60,000 miles is way too long and the only reason not to change it is to save a little money. Not worth it. Have it flushed and then at

50,000 miles have the pan dropped and filter replaced (Only 1/3-1/2 the fluid will be changed at that time). Then flush again at 70-75,000.

The majority of problems I know of are from owners who wait too long to change the fluid. Those that change it early seem to have far fewer problems.

Don't have a quick lube place change it. Go to a Dodge dealer or to a top notch independent shop that works on Dodges. They must use ATF+4 fluid and not some other fluid with an additive.

Reply to
miles

I have the transmission service done every 20K-30K miles by a reputable shop.

Use synthetic (or synthetic blend) oil and the 2.7 engine will be fine.

Reply to
jcr