Window regulator problems?

My 2000 Chrysler T&C driver side window goes down but will no go up most of the time, have to keep restarting car and wigling window until it moves up. The dealer says it needs a window regulator, about $300. This is just a mechanical assembly, what can be wrong with it? Is it binding? - goes down fine. Weak motor? - breaker tripping? Loose wires? I am going to take the door apart, but I would appreciate any ideas. Thank you very much.

Reply to
Ed

Ed,

I never touched the front Regulator, but I attempted a DIY repair on one rear window motor assembly on a 1999 Caravan. These are interesting since they use a current limiting resistor that keeps the motor from burning up whenever the window is fully open or closed, and someone keeps the switch pushed trying to make the window go further. This resistor is a little washer shapped disc about 3/8" diameter inside the module, and near the motor. When they get hot, the resistance rises quickly. The motors wear quickly too since they repeatedly hit the stop before the resistor heats up. The result is rapid brush / commutator wear, and the resistor wears out. I replaced my motor, but not the resistor. The window worked all winter. During spring season, if I parked with the sun shining on that side, the window was dead. later that night it worked again. Momma Mopar wants about $78 to replace the modules (you do the labor). This is a clever designed that is simple, and inexpensive to manufacture, and expensive to replace. My originals lasted about 5 years, so that isn't too bad.

Maybe you can write up a report on the front regulators.

Regards, Jim

Reply to
JC

Thank you very much for your answer, a resistor is the chapest way to handle the motor, but there are better ways that can be used. I am not going to redesign the assembly at this time, but if the resistor is easily accesible, I can try to replace it, the motor seems OK when it runs. This may be an easy solution. I priced regulators in the past, and they seem to be in the $200 range, if I can get a Mopar for $78 I will be willing to change it. I have repaired broken regulators in my Mitsubishi VR4, it was just mechanical failure of plastic guides. If I can repair the regulator using a better resistor I will report on this board. Thank you again, Ed

Reply to
Ed