2000 Astro Power Window problem

I'm looking to see if anyone else has experience with a similar problem. I have a 2000 Chevy Astro with a power window that only raise one or two inches at a time. After a bit of motion, I need to let the window 'rest' for about 1 minute, then it will again raise one or two inches. This problem appears to get worse in hot weather, but has been increasing (I mean the distance travelled on each attempt is decreasing) of the course of the past several years. Should I simply have a new motor handy when I tear into the door, or could there be some other cause to these symptoms?

Thanks

Reply to
TomO

jerry

Tom-I specialize in Chevy Blazers and GMC Jimmies and when they exhibit the symptoms you describe, its the motor. Have one ready when you tear the door apart. I would unplug the old sleepy motor and plug the new(or re-man)one temporarily(in your hand), then activate the power window switch. One way for approx. 5 seconds and then the other way for 5 seconds or so. If it works both way without stopping or delay, thats your problem. Of course it could possibly be your live feed or ground issue and even possibly the power window switch but my money is on the motor. Try this technique but use care around the window sissors, etc. Also it wouldn't hurt to have a manual handy as you'll need to more that likely duct tape the window in the up position, remove the factory rivets holding the motor in place(or nuts and bolts if previously replaced)and guide the old motor out of its spot(usually tight) and sissors out of window tracks. Anyways-good luck!jp

TomO wrote:

Reply to
jerry

I believe there is a circuit breaker in the power window motor circuit, but I am not sure where it is located on your vehicle. When an electric motor gets in a bind and can not turn as fast as it should, the current draw on the motor circuit will increase. The increased current is probably tripping the circuit breaker and of course after it cools down it resets and the circuit works again. You need to find out what is causing the bind on the window motor. It could be that the window is binding in its track or even a problem with the motor itself. Maybe even the window regulator needs to be lubed..

Reply to
Kevin

There is a 30 AMP circuit breaker in the instrument panel fuseblock.

I have found that lubing window regulators is usually a crutch for a failing regulator or a problem with the window tracks. While it certainly can't hurt, it rarely, if ever, makes the difference between a troublesome power window and a power window that will operate reliably long-term.

Don

Don

Advice noted. Sounds like I will go with my original plan of having a meter handy and try to determine the real cause of the failure before just throwing parts at it. I'm pretty good with electrical systems and troubleshooting and was thinking along those lines: i.e. some current sensing circuit on the window motor. Worst case, I'll either have to leave the door apart for a couple of days while I await a new motor, or have to do the disassemby twice. But maybe I'll find the solution somewhere else.

Thanks all.

Reply to
TomO

Note that the circuit breaker itself is a thermal device.

Reply to
mc

Sounds more like a bad gm connector - normally a gm power window motor either works or doesn't work at all - gm connectors are notorious for cracking in hot weather!! Your problems will the connectors location!!

Reply to
Daryl Bryant