My 2004 Dakota Quad Cab, 4.7ltr. V8, 5Spd Auto with A/C, Trailer Tow
Group (34K miles) has been popping "stop lamp" or brake light fuses
every day for a few weeks now and I cannot locate the source of the
trouble. Here's what I've done:
1. Trailer Brake System - disconnected and removed, not the source of
the overload or short.
2. The 7-pin connector at the rear bumper, cleaned, additional hitch
light in or out - fuse still pops.
3. Removed, applied elec. connector gel to all brake light bulbs, top
light was loose and burned out, new bulb replaced with gel & some glue
to keep the bulb stable. Fuse still pops.
4. Under dash brake switch inspected, elec. connector gel applied to
slide pin. Fuse still pops.
Could the brake switch be bad, how do I check this??
What else am I missing... other than wiring harness... which I would
rather do anything than trace brake wires for chafing!
Thanks a million to anyone with guidance, direction or assistance!
- Ben (hoping not to get rear-ended in traffic)