0455 code on 2001 2500QC V8

Is there a common cause for this code? It has gotten to the point that within a day or so the code shows again after I reset the DTCs. Was just wondering if you guys have seen it to be one thing more than another.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

check all your hoses going to and from the evap canister on the left hand frame rail under the truck (irrc thats the location of it) i've found a ton of cracked hoses there in the past, also check to make sure you have your gas cap tight. check all the vac lines ect. thats the code for a large leak so you should be able to find it with a through visual inspection (gas cap could be bad, not sure how you'd know that without a smoke machine though)

worse comes to worse get denny to sneak the smoke machine out of the shop under his ear or soemthing so you can use it for a few min *snicker*

Reply to
Chris Thompson

Well....couldn't find an evap can but I do remember a cracked hose that runs from the driver side valve cover gasket to the intake manifold. Thought I had patched it well enough....could that possibly be the culprit?

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

i wouldnt think so as that sounds like the PCV valve hose (you need that working right or you will have oil leaks all over the place.)

maybe i gave you the wrong location for the can, i dont have a service manual for your truck in my hands here at the house and cant remember exactly where else they hid those things. hopefully Tom or Denny or someone else with more exact information will chime in here in a bit.

Reply to
Chris Thompson

Passenger-side frame rail, on the outside. One's round, one's rectangular.

I second the gas-cap... check that first.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

I stopped by the dealer to get one of those hoses....just in case. While I was there I "learnt" that there were 3 Rams in for the samevcode and all three ended up being the cap. They had several in stock so I replaced mine and reset the DTCs....I'll let you guys know in a day or so what the verdict is.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

It appears to have been the gas cap.

Thanks for all the input everyone. Once I'm done moving all my stuff out of the house (remodeling) I'll crawl underneath to check everything else...just to know how all hoses are doing.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

OR NOT!!!

Damn code came back on.....underneath I go..............

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

Suddenly, without warning, Carolina Watercraft Works exclaimed (9/20/2007 5:56 AM):

Yea, for me it stayed off until I filled the tank... then it came back on. Gas cap was the first thing I tried as well.

Jury's still out whether it'll stay off after the mechanic found a cracked hose (in my '01 dak, it was a hose on the right side of the engine, only about a foot long or so); I haven't filled the tank since the repair was made.

Originally I thought vacuum had returned, but I was mistaken. Still no pssst when I remove the gas cap.

jmc

Reply to
jmc

By right side do you mean driver's side or passenger's side? I'm looking for the same thing on a friend's truck. Thanks.

Bob

Reply to
Bob M

All my hoses checked out ok so far. One thing I did find though was on the evap can on the frame rail....the flex hose that connects to the hard line tubing....there is a connector that I fiddled with and as I rotated it, it sort of snapped as though the internal seal (o-ring?) released from years of sitting in the same position. Just as though it were stuck in one place. From my experience, o-rings require lube and are designed to not be secured in place as this one seemed to be. I reset and am currently awaiting the codes return...or hopefully its permanent departure.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

Drivers side, back toward the firewall. I suspect it was cracked underneath, 'cause I looked for cracks a while back, from above, and didn't find any. It's above where the manifold was replaced, which is why I suspect it was noticed from below.

jmc

Reply to
jmc