1997 Cummins info request

Truck is a dually 3500, QC 4x4 with accident damage. Price might be good ($4500.00) and will know after I inspect it and get some estimates.

What I'm looking for here is input on the older style versus the newer style Cummins and of course any issues with that particular truck I may need to be aware of. Only 160k miles on it.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

The 12V's just seem to keep running... the only issue with them was the Killer Dowel Pin, which is pretty easily fixed. Since they're all mechanical, there's not really a whole lot to go wrong with them (unless it was run without oil - then that just makes it angry).

As far as issues with the rest of the truck, if it's an automatic, that should be checked over (pull pan, check condition of fluid, inspect for debris, check band tension, etc.).

Of course, all the normal wear-and-tear items you'd expect on a 10-year-old

1-ton... front suspension components (if not already replaced) will be worn out - if 4x4, front wheel bearings could be close... U-joints... nothing out of the ordinary. You've got Dana running gear (60 up front, 80 in the rear), so nothing to worry about there (as long as the fluid was changed, and kept water-free).
Reply to
Tom Lawrence