1998 Dodge Ram 1500

I have a 98 Ram with over 175,000 miles. Last summer I had the pinion bearings replaced due to the horrific roar from the rear. Over the last few months I have had a different problem.

When I start off, I heard a grinding noise or dragging coming from the rear. I have noticed it does it more when I take off and make a left turn, than when I make a right turn. It will sometimes make the noise from a straight start too.

Any suggestions? I am not sure whether to take it back to the person who worked on it the first time or just fix it myself.

thanks

Michael

Reply to
nf4w

Did you have the axle bearings done at the same time? The ones out near the wheels? And are you sure the mechanic set the end play correctly?

Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

Hey Bob, where in AZ you hail from?

Reply to
azwiley1

It sounds as if the rear was not set up right, If you replaced the carrier bearings, its obvious the whole carrier came out. When reinstalling you need to reset the backlash, and mesh pattern of the gears. If you replace the pinion bearing then you need to recheck pinion depth as well. If you leave this go for any long period of time the inevitable will happen. I have had to replace everything in my rear, carrier and gears due to someone not setting it up properly. It is not difficult to do this yourself once you have a good understanding of how to do it, and providing you have the right tools for the job. It is time consuming! Sounds as if you need to take everything bad out and have a good check of all components and a rebuild done.

Reply to
jlongx2

Lets see, not difficult IF you have a good understanding, and the proper tools. Like dial indicators, a press, bearing splitters, inch and foot pound torque wrenches AND it's time consuming. Sounds almost difficult to me:)

Al

Reply to
Big Al

No its not difficult, if you have all those tools or at least access to them, Most people lack the confindance of doing something they have never done before in fear of messing it up. Same as I did until I did some research and did one, after doing my carrier swap, and had a good understanding of how to do it, it is easy!! The Chrysler rears have adjustable spacers, which eliminates having to put the carrier in and pull it out numerous times until acceptable backlash ans mesh are achieve, which makes it easier,as far as the pinion shims, using the old ones that were on it are a good start, to maintain the original pinion depth. So intead of rebutting against my comment in trying to encourage this guy and help him out, Why don't you do the same instead of debateing how hard or easy it is to do!

Jamie

Reply to
jlongx2

this may still be a bearing instead. I did jack up the rear wheels the other day and was able to pull up about 1/4" on the right tire. It also had a low noise 'pop'. As I stated before it does it more when I take off and make a left turn, than when I make a right turn. I still feel that it is worth a shot to take out the right axle and check the bearings. When I do this, I will be pulling the 'c' shaped spacer out, so I can check anything unusual then. I have a friend who is a mechanic and we both work together at a Fire Dept. So he is bringing his equipment to the station and we're going to pull the axle to check it out. If it is the bearing, we got it licked, if not we will go from there.

Thanks for the help Jamie.

Michael

Al you will do a good job and discouraging people from trying.... maybe you can start with your children...

Reply to
nf4w

There is a bearing on each axle so get two. Also memorize the procedure for adjustment if there is one. You will probably have to remove each axle to change the bearings. Some bearings are pressed on and sometimes have to be removed with a cut from a chisel AND a puller.

Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ