2000 Saturn SL2 engine dies often but can be restarted

My Saturn engine dies more and more often. It happened starting around one year ago when I waited for a traffic light. I had to restart it. And then, the engine dies more and more often. Usually, it happened when I made a turn and waited for a traffic light. These days, even during driving on highway normally, the engine died sometimes. However, I can always succeed in restarting the car (sometimes I had to turn the key several times).

A mechanic checked my car, replace the four starter plugs and fuel filter. The problem wasn't fixed. I knew that catalytic converter of my car was also broken. The mechanic told me it could be the problem of "catalytic converter". But I am wondering "catalytic converter" can cause engine die during driving.

I do greatly appreciate for any advices or possible solutions to this problem.

Thank you very much in advance.

Reply to
Leeinwind

If there were a "Saturn FAQ," this would be one of the top few entries. If you do a Google groups search

against this newsgroup (rec.auto.makers.saturn), you'll find many, many articles dealing with engines dying and/or revving low. IIRC, Coolant Temperature Sensor and fuel problems (for example bad gas, bad fuel pump) can cause these symptoms. Hopefully, others with better memory and/ or more experience than I will happen along and provide more useful information. Good luck!

Reply to
Steve

Well, it seems to me there are many possible cases. I will try some in this weekend and let you know how's going.

Reply to
Leeinwind

I'm coming back to report the result. I fixed the problem which was caused by EGR valve failure. I tried to clean it but after a while, it failed again so at last I bought a new one and then everything was perfect.

Thank everyone here. I got many useful advices.

Good luck.

-- Message posted using

information at

Leeinwind