2000 Ram Power Steering Pump leak

2000 2500 Cummins 4X4. I have developed a leak at what looks like the back of the power steering pump on my 2500 QC. FSM shows an o-ring on the bottom line of the unit around the leak area. Anybody know if that o-ring can be replaced, or am I wasting my time messing with it? Does the pump have to be removed to get to it?Any tips on replacing the pump itself. Looks kind of straight-forward but a pain to get to. Any insight will be appreciated. TIA.

Jack

Reply to
jackvt80

Problem found! Went to dealer today and picked up an o-ring before digging into it. While I was there I asked about worst case scenario.... if it was the pump it would have been $360, if it was the vacuum pump that would have been a cool $2400. Ouch! Anyway, I got home and sprayed everything clean and got underneath. Sure enough the threaded PSP line was leaking, which all things considered was good news. Turns out the threaded nut had backed itself out a few turns. Tightened up, refilled and hope for now I'm good to go.

Jack

Reply to
jackvt80

If it had turned out to be a leak between the vacuum pump and the power steering pump,

has a repair kit for way, way less than the $2400 that you and I both got quoted to fix the drips on the driveway... I'm installing the kit this weekend. Greg

Reply to
Greg

Thanks, Greg! I've got it marked for future reference. How did it go?

Jack

Reply to
jackvt80