2002 Dodge Ram 1500

Dealer says I need to replace fuel tank to get rid of P0455 code...they performed a 'smoke' test and it appears I have an emissions leak on the fuel tank where it is molded together. They quoted $800 for the tank, $150-200 to install it. Any body else ever experienced this? I feel that I can replace the fuel tank if I can find an aftermarket tank or one from salvage. Suggestions?

Reply to
Twin

800 for a tank is ridiculous. Also if truck has under 50 K on it, they have to fix it because of 5yr/50 K emissions warranty. Look for other sources for ou fuel tank if you have to pay for it or ignore the codes if it is okay otherwise. If it is not leaking fuel, I would not be too concerned at this stage but if it is leaking fuel, that is a different matter.
Reply to
SnoMan

Is the leaking mold near the top of the tank? If so, you could wait a while and look for a better deal. Also, is it plastic? I'd be inclined to try to fix it -- take it off, drain it, find the leak, take a lighter and extra plastic and try to fuse it all together. If it's metal, gas tank patch will work -- it might on plastic too but have not as yet had one. Or you could braise the leak with copper if you know someone with torches --- but be really careful there is no fuel left. While you're at it, look for any filters you can replace and inspect fuel pump if there

My thought is if it took a smoke test to find the leak, it can't be that bad or you would have smelled it and seen the puddles. If it is leaking even just a little but STEADILY, I'm with SnoMan and fix it. ALso, I can get a used plastic tank for my old ram for $200 cdn -- but have other things to spend it on. Can't believe that price $800 either. If it's only leaking when full (mold near top), just don't fill it! I've had a

77 gmc for 7 years and it always leaked at about 80% so I fill the tank looking under it! rach
Reply to
Rachel Easson

Ka-Boom!

Ka-Boom!

The thing is most dangerous after it's been drained so there's "no fuel left."

Reply to
Sparkle

The fumes are what makes gasoline explosive, not the fuel itself.

Reply to
Addisons

That is correct so if you fill the tank with water prior to its repair, you will minimize the danger.

Reply to
TBone

Reply to
SnoMan

Guess I've been really lucky! Twin I wasn't trying to get you killed! Thanks Sparkle (was that as in spark??? )

Reply to
Rachel Easson

I guess I didn't explain things very well did I? Yes, didn't really think before about why you leave the water in -- thought it just wouldn't cause a big explosion if things went wrong (god I can be ignorant without even knowing it!!!) rach

Reply to
Rachel Easson

Good plan -- we always did this sort of work in summer so after we finished fixing them we just left them in the hot sun to dry out (steam cleaned), but with the older models the engines can just cough and splutter until the water is out -- used to add a bit of gas-line antifreeze. I've even sanded and fibre-glassed to fix (back when I was a teen and was even greener behind the ears) with a musician doing the gas tank removal part for me. using the clean-out gas tank method, your way is better with the alcohol SnoMan -- isopropyl 97% or rubbing or doesn't it matter? rach

Reply to
Rachel Easson

26 gal 378.30 35 gal 348.66

Reply to
Jay

Hey Twin,

how come no responses? I hope you didn't blow up ????!!!

rach

Reply to
Rachel Easson

Reply to