2002 Grand Caravan, electrical problem

(orginally posted to alt.autos.dodge but I don't think that all news feeds include that group)

Intermittenly, all electrical accessories cut out simultaneously: blowers, radio, wipers, windows. Usually just for a moment but sometimes longer. Though the blower motors shut off, the power light for the climate control remains illuminated. Instrument cluster and other instrumentation (temperature/compass) are unaffected.

What would be the likely cause of this?

Van has about 68k miles, and the original battery if that could be the problem, though it does start just fine.

Allan

Reply to
Allan Streib

I don't have a wiring diagram for your vehicle but it sounds to me like the ignition switch is going bad or you have wiring problems in the switch harness. I believe all of the items you mentioned are normally dead when the ignition switch is in the "start" position.

You can verify this by turning the key to the "run" position without starting the vehicle, then turn on all of the accessories (wipers, heater blower, radio). With the parking brake set and your foot on the brake pedal, put the transmission in reverse or drive. Now turn the key to the start position and hold it there (the starter won't engage unless the transmission is in park or neutral). Take note of which accessories go dead, then release the switch back to the run position. If these are all of the same accessories that you are having problems with I would suspect the switch or ignition harness. If you wiggle the switch around in the run position it might reveal a "dead spot" in the switch. Don't forget to put the transmission back in park and turn off the key when you are finished.

Reply to
Nosey

That is a very interesting theory because not long ago we had trouble with the ignition lock "sticking" in the locked position. The key would not turn. Wiggling the key, the steering, and the gear selector would not free it so it did not seem like an interlock problem.

Removing the key and reinserting a few times would free it. Local locksmith figured the lock was dirty and advised "blasting it out with WD40" which I did, and it solved the sticking problem, but possibly I blasted the dirt into the electrical contacts? I would guess the electrical switch is sealed and isolated from the lock mechanism but who knows?

Maybe try spraying electical contact cleaner into the lock?

Allan

Reply to
Allan Streib

I think wd 40 doesn't leave a residue. it evaporates, and contact cleaners do the same thing. a penetrating oil, like B P Blaster, will leave an oil film. I think I'd find a lube made for locks, and try that.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hollywood