2004 Dodge 1500 4wd quad cab towing

Hi All, we have Ram 1500 4wd quad cab 5.7 Hemi 3.92 axle ratio and 20 inch tires.We have been towing dry weight travel trailer that is 4500. We are now considering a dry weight trailer of 5700. We would put about

600 lbs of stuff so would be 6200. I spoke with local Dodge dealer and also call Chrysler (yep the company) to ask towing questions. The truck is rated to pull loaded trailer up to 7500. At 6200 we are well within the range. The truck has tow package and tranny cooler.It bugs my husband that even when towing the old trailer, the tranny shifts a lot. I understand it's normal but it bugs him that it is constantly shifting. ANY feedback from you guys (and gals!) out there on towing with this vehicle would be great. If he needs to quit worrying about it, PLZ say so! thanks so much! anxiousley awaiting responses. He is taking trailer for a test spin tomorrow. Tawnya-Kennewick,Wa.
Reply to
tm

I had a 2005 1500 and I always turned off the OD when towing. This cut out quite a bit of the shifting back and forth that would have happened if I had left it on.

M2CW, Hawkeye65

Reply to
The Addison's

read your owners manual closely. im guessing that it probably says not to pull in overdrive, (i havent read the auto trans operation part of my 05 manual as it doesnt apply to my truck) so if you are that could be part of the shifting of the trans. also note driving habbits when hauling a load should be different than when driving empty. other than that if your 6200 is well within the limits for your configuration then enjoy the camper. you make me jelous ive been wanting to get myself a new camper for a while. just havent been able to work it into the budget yet!

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

Turn OD off. Failing to do so will cause a ton of back and forth shifting which if VERY hard on the transmission.

Reply to
miles

First of all, a campers "dry weight" is very a confusing term. It's the weight of the trailer before *any* options were added...this includes refridgerator, stove, microwave, airconditioning, LP gas, no water etc. I'd guess that this trailer loaded with groceries, water and clothing pluse all added accessories and basics will easily top 7,500 pounds. A camper that heavy should be pulled by a 3/4 ton truck.

Don't assume when it comes to a trailers weight. Get it weighed.

Secondly, the tranny shifting alot is a bad sign. If you have towed that way "alot" it might be too late for you. Hunting between drive and overdrive is very hard on overdrive. You should have listened to him...you both should be worried.

Reply to
Advocate

I agree, disable OD when towing REGARDLESS of what manual says and that will save a lot of "hunting" of the gears and wear and tears too. Do that and you should be okay for you planned weight

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

thanks for responding. He does turn off the overdrive, I should have mentioned that.There is a button he pushes for towing.The tranny seems to shift most when pulling hill.The local Dodge dealer service guy said it is normal.Another response was that the dry weight is before the appliances were added, I had never heard that, I did know about water, etc. We travel with only 10 gallons or so just to use potty along the way.Sure appreciate your feedback!

Reply to
tm

I should have stated he does turn it off. Thanks for the feedback!

Reply to
tm

very interesting, I didn't know it was before the appliances were added. I will be investigating this more.He does turn off overdrive.Thanks for you input!

Reply to
tm

coachmen says that the appliances are already there before it leaves the factory that they (the built in ones) are not accessories and are part of the "dry wieght" witch was exactly what i expected to hear.

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

thanks again Chris, I would think the appliances would be part of it, not accessories, I haven't had the chance to approach that subject yet. Now for a chuckle: we are still new trailer shopping, last night a dealer called with his "best offer", he was giving me way way less for my trailer than the others, I told him I was being completely honest and that his price was in the range of what I have been hearing for his trailer but he was $3000 under offer for mine.Shortly thereafter he called back and said they could do the same for my trailer.GRRRRRRR! this game is getting old!

Reply to
tm

LOL i know the trade game all too well. good luck is all i can say

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

so I showed them! I bought from a dealer who sells inventory on ebay motors! brand new, last years model,never owned and for are you ready??? $10,000 less than anyone around her even started at! I will pay about $2500 to have it shipped here. AFter the goodies I am having added and tax and license I am going to save about $6,000! go me! go me! I am going to purchase extended warranty and then when the manuf. warranty runs out I can take it to whoever I want for repairs. This should be our forever trailer, the ONE WE REALLY WANTED trailer so it'll be around a few years.

Reply to
tm

good for you! what did you get?

Reply to
Christopher Thompson
2005 Outback 28rsds. New, never been owned but was used by a fema employee for a few months.It appears to be in near new condition.Has factory warranty. Take a look:
tm

very nice! i love the outbacks, infact the one ive been looking at is the 29 FBHS. its a rear bunk 5er.

anyways congradulations, i know you will enjoy it. they outbacks are extreemly nice units.

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

go to the actual website of Lake Shore RV in Michigan. You can order the new one you want and save about a bazillion dollars over what the the dealers want. You can look at their used inventory with set price too or try one of their auctions. I am dumbfounded I could get this trailer plus shipping plus extended 7 yr warranty ($1300) with tax and license deliverd to my door for THOUSANDS less than I could even dream of getting with dealer here. The dealer called this morning and I told him what I did and he pouted that I didn't give them a chance, EXCUSE ME??? they wouldn' budge on their price of $26,000!!! grrrrrr!!!!! what a wicked game they play and I am pretty sharp and played their own angles back at them.....they knew I was smart and wouldn't budge.Sorry for them. Keep me posted when you get new trailer! Tawnya

Reply to
tm

ill keep that in mind . but for me it will be a few years yet most likely. ive got 2 new trucks to pay down before i go spending anymore money LOL the

05 wasnt a planned buy niether was the 99 but had to keep mama happy!
Reply to
Christopher Thompson