1992 Power Ram Steering Play

I have a 92' dodge power ram 150 4x4. Truck Has 120,000 miles and runs great. The steering has some play in it. Going about 55 mph truck wants to wonder left to right. Noticed that drivers side tire is a bit more wore than others. Could it just need a front wheel aligament?

Thanks

Reply to
brians4

you probably have some worn front end parts, ball joints tie rod ends ect. id check the front end for play in the joints or take it to a shop and have it checked out.

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

I think you were supposed to do some service on that front end about 60,000 miles ago . . . .

Reply to
Budd Cochran

Sounds like worn parts...Rag joint/u-joint, ball joints, drag link, tie rod, steering gear, etc. (I don't know the steering components on this truck, so sorry if I mention parts it doesn't have). To find the suspect components, you can jack the front end and place it on jacksstands with the wheels free to turn, secure the steering wheel (the steering lock may not have enough strength to hold it and will have a little play, so instead use a couple of lengths of rope to secure the steering wheel), then push each wheel left and right and look for any freeplay in the steering components. Having someone the help move the wheels while you look will greatly easy this diagnosis.

Reply to
Ed