automatic vs manual for towing

Totally hypothetically speaking, because I've been told by many experts on usenet that towing _any_ trailer with anything less than a full size truck is dangerous, and I _will_ kill someone by believing the tow rating specified in my owners manual.

Lets say I have a '94 1.8L 4spd automatic Corolla and I've been loading ~1200lbs of firewood on an 250lb trailer and towing it 200 miles four or five times a year for the last few years. I usually leave it in overdrive and tow at the speed limit (65mph) most of the time. I'll pop it out of overdrive to go up the hills and sometimes slow it down to 60mph on the longer hills so I don't overheat anything. Lets assume that I've never had any problems doing this and the transmission seems happy with

160k miles on it. I am thinking about getting a new Corolla and was trying to decide between a 4spd automatic and a 5spd manual and wondering if this usage should impact my decision.

I know that trucks are often rated for higher towing capacities with automatics than the manuals. However, in this case we aren't talking about towing a 4-ton travel trailer over the Rockies every weekend, we're (hypothetically) talking about towing a 3/4-ton utility trailer

1000 miles a year with the occasional mile long moderate grade hill. Toyota seems to rate the Corolla with a 1500lb towing capacity regardless of the transmission.

Anyone out there have any towing experience with a manual Corolla? Any educated opinions on if the Corolla 5spd clutch is tough enough for this usage? If I burn one out a clutch will I find something in the aftermarket that would take this "abuse"? Any issues other than the clutch? Should I trust that Toyota would lower the towing capacity of the manual if it was an issue? Should I just go for the 4spd automatic again because starting off at the toll booths will be easier?

Note to experts who use a truck to tow: This is totally hypothetical. I realize that a Corolla cannot even support the weight of a hitch without killing small children and causing my transmission to explode.

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
someone
1.) I would NOT tow that load with a Corolla. 2.) I would recommend you not tow that load with a Corolla. 3.) if you elect to ignore my advice, then at least do not use Overdrive. Let the car stay in 3rd or 4th (automatic or manual, respectively).

The problem with that load isn't getting it going, it's getting it stopped. The brakes on your Corolla should not be happy at all, especially in an emergency. Yes, I get that you _never_ have emergencies, but the other cars around are bound to have one eventually, and having your car under control can make the difference in living to enjoy your retirement account, or not.

If you observe the Towing Capacity figures on the factory literature -- sales brochures, owner's manuals, etc. -- then you should be fine, despite my advice.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

If its rated to tow that much, you should be fine... i am towing a 3400 lbs boat with my Sienna... and its rated for 3500lbs... i called toyota, talked to mechanics, and its all good. Toyota would not rate it for 1500lbs if the car could not make it...

in Europe, people use small cars like the corolla (and the corolla too) to tow boats, etc. almost all cars have some kind of a towing system put in place as folks are into towing there more than ever... so no worries...

Reply to
Dan J.S.

Stick with the automatic. With regular automatic transmission fluid changes (make sure you use the correct fluid as I believe the Corolla uses special fluid) the automatic transmission will outlast the clutch when towing.

As long as you're within the vehicle's towing capacity and have the trailer properly loaded (paying attention to tongue weight, etc,, then you should be OK. If you're shopping for a new trailer or want to upgrade your present trailer, consider surge brakes for the trailer.

Reply to
Ray O

Some cars overstate their towing capacities a bit, but the main danger (as has been pointed out) is in braking.

Either transmission will work, but if you get an automatic you MUST add an auxiliary transmission cooler if it doesn't have a 'Desert Cooling' or Towing package on it (that includes one) from the factory.

And if you pick the Stick, you MUST be sure to only allow experienced drivers to tow with it. Only one thing will smoke a clutch faster than a novice Stick driver, and that's a novice Stick driver with a fully loaded vehicle. Especially if the novice is driving in a hilly area, with those challenging stoplights and stop signs halfway up a 10% grade.

If this is your own trailer, see if you can buy one with either electric brakes or hydraulic surge brakes, or have them retrofitted to your old trailer. If you rent the trailer, insist on the one with the surge brakes, even if you have to go one size trailer larger to get them.

Getting going is easy, you have all the time in the world to accelerate - but if someone stops short in front of you, you have that much room to get your vehicle and trailer stopped, and absolutely no more. (That is, without ramming them.) Trailer brakes can shave 25% or more off stopping distances.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

"" wrote: > Totally hypothetically speaking, because I've been told by > many experts > on usenet that towing _any_ trailer with anything less than a > full size > truck is dangerous, and I _will_ kill someone by believing the > tow > rating specified in my owners manual. > > > Lets say I have a '94 1.8L 4spd automatic Corolla and I've > been loading > ~1200lbs of firewood on an 250lb trailer and towing it 200 > miles four or > five times a year for the last few years. I usually leave it > in > overdrive and tow at the speed limit (65mph) most of the time. > I'll pop it > out of overdrive to go up the hills and sometimes slow it down > to 60mph > on the longer hills so I don't overheat anything. Lets assume > that > I've never had any problems doing this and the transmission > seems happy with > 160k miles on it. I am thinking about getting a new Corolla > and was trying > to decide between a 4spd automatic and a 5spd manual and > wondering if this > usage should impact my decision. > > I know that trucks are often rated for higher towing > capacities with > automatics than the manuals. However, in this case we aren't > talking > about towing a 4-ton travel trailer over the Rockies every > weekend, > we're (hypothetically) talking about towing a 3/4-ton utility > trailer > 1000 miles a year with the occasional mile long moderate grade > hill. > Toyota seems to rate the Corolla with a 1500lb towing capacity > regardless > of the transmission. > > Anyone out there have any towing experience with a manual > Corolla? Any > educated opinions on if the Corolla 5spd clutch is tough > enough for this > usage? If I burn one out a clutch will I find something in > the > aftermarket that would take this "abuse"? Any issues other > than the clutch? > Should I trust that Toyota would lower the towing capacity of > the manual if > it was an issue? Should I just go for the 4spd automatic > again because > starting off at the toll booths will be easier? > > Note to experts who use a truck to tow: This is totally > hypothetical. > I realize that a Corolla cannot even support the weight of a > hitch > without killing small children and causing my transmission to > explode. > > Thanks in advance!

throwing caution to the wind here, it really doesnt matter. it is easier to burn out a clutch, and you could cause damage to the tranny.... but the same is true for an auto tranny. in an auto it could switch gears at an improper time and basically shred itself, or you could end up burning the clutch or jumping it and breaking something. I prefer to tow in a manual, I know what I am trying to do better than the car knows, and I can predict what is up ahead while the car only knows once you are there. I towed a 5000# trailer

1000miles over the rockies in a little 2.2L pickup. the tow rating was something like 1500#. was it dumb, yes. but 6 years later the truck still runs great, never even had to replace anything. braking could be fun, but with a stick you can assist that, however for any real towing adding a brake kit or a trailer assist is a good idea. as a side note I never liked automatic transmissions, nothing like going up a hill in 2nd at 30mph, having it switch to 3rd and lose all your speed and wont switch back to 2nd until you hit 15mph. All auto trannys shift like a newbie at the stick wether its a 80?s honda, or a 2005 caddy.
Reply to
xmirage2kx