500 ppm diesel still readily available......

That's too technical a term for most people. :)

Bill Putney

It all boils down to "Does the thermal reactor have a chemical that behaves as what a chemist would consider a catalyst does". If the answer is 'no', then you are right, if 'yes', then he is right. (I don't know the answer.)

Bill Putney

In this case, the DC documentation could be correct, but it doesn't

*prove* anything. DC official documentation also refers to the LH car coolant outlet housing as a thermostat housing when the thermostat is not within 2 feet of it. :)

Bill Putney

Smog pump: YES Cat? Not in '69.

Reply to
Steve

Also, catcons weren't mandatory in '75, if a car could meet the required emission levels without one, it didn't have to have one. But *most* vehicles needed catcons to meet '75 (and later) emissions. Light trucks had a different standard, and many got away without catcons for a few more years. That's why a 1978 Dodge Little Red Express was quicker than a '78 Chevy Corvette (well, ONE of the reasons). The '78 LRE didn't need cats and used a true dual exhaust, the 'vette being a car had to meet tighter emissions. By '79, the requirements had tightened so that the

1979 Dodge LRE truck did have catcons. The '78s are now much more desirable as collector vehicles.
Reply to
Steve

Its spelled Palladium, and the main ingredient in oxidation catcons is platinum anyway. And they haven't used beads in catalysts since 1980.

act as a catylist to convert pollutants to, uh, less

Reduction cats convert nitrogen oxides to nitrogen (N2) and free oxygen (O2). Oxidation catcons convert Carbon Monoxide and un-burned hydrocarbons to carbon dioxide and water. Oxidation catcons need free oxygen to work, and that's what air injection pumps are for. But with better fuel management systems like we have today, the free oxygen released by the reduction section of the cat is usually enough to fuel the oxidation section of the cat. Kinda neat, that.

Reply to
Steve

Yeah, now I'm peeved about cheap "made in China" fluorescent tubes that only last 2 months :-p

Reply to
Steve

Make sure it's really the tubes and not a failing ballast.

Reply to
TBone

Veering way off topic, but since you asked....

I would have suspected that, but its ONLY the chinese tubes in the same fixture with German tubes and its the only chinese tubes in several different fixtures. These are rather expensive aquarium lamps with special spectal characteristics, and the tube vendor (Coralife) switched production from Germany to China some time last year. Its 100% consistent- all the new Chinese tubes are failing early. I'm no longer buying Coralife lamps as a result.

Reply to
Steve