New Ford Diesel

Any info on the 2007 Ford Diesel? I hear they dumped the 6.0??

Al

Reply to
Big Al

You know, I'm getting kind of tired of the FoMoCo...........Yes, I've driven nothing else for a long, long time. I used to love their stuff. I've owned 3 Galaxies, 2 Crown Vics, 2 Town Cars, and about 20 trucks. My friend has a new Super Duty Diesel, and ALREADY the tranny is a trash. Only 20K miles, too..........

What is it with these guys?? They think we'll stay loyal while they keep making junk? (sounds like the Republican arrogance to me). How many years does it take to get a tranny done right? Hell, they've only been making cars/trucks for 100 years.........

My next one will be a GM with the Allison, I'm afraid. Going bankrupt is justice for Ford.

Reply to
Teddy Bear

Like GM has never sold a truck with a defective transmission, eh?

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 18:12:40 -0500, Matt Macchiarolo rearranged some electrons to form:

What about the exploding Chivvy pickup gas tanks?

Reply to
David M

You mean the ones that were soo dangerous and prone to exploding that the only way 60 Minutes could get one to do so was with an explosive devise? Or maybe those rolling bombs, the Pinto Runabouts? I remember a time when all pickups had the gas tanks behind the seat. Then there were the Jeeps that had them under the drivers seat.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

It wasn't 60 Minutes, it was Dateline NBC. I remember the episode, they blamed the fire on a "headlight that shorted out on impact" on the car that they drove into the side of the truck.

60 Minutes almost singlehandedly bankrupted Audi because of alleged unintended acceleration.
Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

They also just about put Jeep out of business back in the early 80's with their roll over scare. They forgot to mention that the jeep cj-5 models they were using only rolled over 12 times during all the radical maneuvers they put them through, they forgot to mention the 95% of the time it was just fine. They just kept showing the 12 times it rolled over. Overnight insurance rates on anything with jeep in the name went through the ceiling, IF you could find someone that would insure them. I had a J-20 back then, insurance doubled, most stable standard cab pick up I ever drove. The CJ's are gone, and the "wrangler" isn't half the off road vehicle the CJ was., but then the same can be said of many vehicles, the original Broncos were damn near as good as the Jeep's, then they got bloated.

Getting back to trannies, it does seem like Ford has been having issues with transmissions in their light duty trucks for too long. and yeah GM had that disaster the TM200 Metric. Perhaps the Allison made it into GM light trucks because of the problems Ford has been having? The old C-4 and C-6 were pretty tough old birds. Fact is the Turbo 400, the C-6, and the torqueflight 727 were all three pretty bullet proof gear boxes.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Fact is the Turbo 400, the C-6, and the torqueflight 727 were all

Gears? What gears? Certainly you meant Slush Boxes?

Reply to
My Names Nobody

Seems we drifted a tad off topic:)

Any info on the 2007 Ford Diesel? I hear they dumped the 6.0??

Al

Reply to
Big Al

OK OK

2008 6.4L Super Duty Overview

6.4L Engine Highlights Increased Horsepower and Torque Quieter Ride and Idling Meets 2007 Emissions Standards

Introduced industry standard piezo-electric High Pressure Common Rail (HPCR) fuel injection system Eliminates Stiction leading to cold misfires Improves Cold drivability - injection timing independent of oil viscosity Eliminates Broken injectors due to clogged fuel filters/fuel starvation Reduces Combustion noise w/full range multiple injections

New Engine Highlights

Two turbochargers in series, one fixed low pressure turbo feeding a variable turbine high pressure turbo High Pressure Common Rail (HPCR) Injection System EGR System with dual coolers, and EGR oxidation catalyst Improved cooling system Upsized water pump New fuel cooling circuit Increased cooling fan capacity Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF)

Quieter Ride, Quieter Idle

Enhanced Fuel Injection System Injectors located inside valve cover for quieter ride and quieter idle Piezo Injector Actuation Technology Allows for multiple injections Improves combustion for quieter operation

Cost of Ownership Improvements

10,000 mile oil change interval 20,000 mile fuel filter change interval 120K+ Diesel Particulate Filter Service Interval

New 2007 Emissions Regulations

2007 Emissions level requires several advancements: Active Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) Enhanced Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Advanced multi-shot injection control Increased turbocharger boost levels Enhanced engine structure
Reply to
My Names Nobody

How much oil in the crnakcase?

Never would I go that long with out changing a fuel filter on a gasser, let alone a diesel. On my Cummins NT14 Plus in the last Kenworth I changed them every

10,000 miles. Now I know thats a much bigger engine consuming a lot more fuel, but the filters hold 2 qts plus of fuel , they're huge in comparrison to whats on a light duty truck. It made a difference on fuel mileage, as much as 3/10th of a mpg, and again I know doesnt sound like much unless your driving 3,500 miles a week, then it adds up fast, considering we thought we were doing good to average 7.5 mpg.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Why the planataries of course ;-)

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

That was mostly from NBC news attaching model rocket motors with remote igniter to the gas tank. Some years later CBS news forged documents to make it look like the President had not fulfilled his duties to the National Guard. And the liberals say Fox news lies. What a crock...

Tony

Reply to
Anthony W

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 02:14:38 +0000, Whitelightning rearranged some electrons to form:

That is the truth.

One of my other vehicles has a 37-year-old C4 with 186,000 miles on it that has only been rebuilt once.

Reply to
David M

Actually CBS didn't forge the documents themselves, though they didn't check the source. And the jury's still out on whether the story is true, despite the questionable documents.

Fox news said Mark Foley, the Florida congressmen who likes male pages, was a Democrat.

Any questions?

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

The 6.0L is history beginning January 1, 2007. The federal government has new emission standards for diesels that none of the existing diesels in light duty trucks could meet. Some manufacturers are building new engines while others are making major changes to the existing one. Which approach is better has yet to be determined.

Try

for some info on thenew Powerstroke engine.

Reply to
rvfulltime

That's what I was thinking. This was a pretty good question, wasn't it? Too bad the thread didn't do it justice.

Reply to
Joe

Uhm, Asked and answered....

Reply to
My Names Nobody

The new Ford diesel will be introduced in mid 2007 as a 2008 model.

Reply to
Eisboch

I don't think that's accurate. The 6.0 will continue to be used through mid

2007. The new, 6.4L will be released then as a 2008 model, unless things have changed in the past month or so. The new regulations specify engines "manufactured" starting in 2007 ... not the 2007 model year. By introducing the new engine in mid 2007 as a 2008, Ford got around the requirement for an extra 6 months or so.
Reply to
Eisboch