87 Dakota ignition upgrade options?

What are my options for upgrading the ignition on this vehicle?

The engine is a V6, 3.9L, with a two-barrel Holley carburetor. The existing distributor uses a Hall effect magnetic pickup.

The "vacuum transducer" on the spark control computer sprang a leak and I have to replace the spark control computer along with it. I can get a used one for under $50, but I thought I would look into the possibility of getting better performance and/or mileage from an after market ignition upgrade.

I would specifically be looking to bypass the stock spark control computer altogether.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jack

Reply to
Jack

Check out

where you'll find a number of guys who have a great deal of experience in this conversion.

Reply to
Max Dodge

Years ago I had an '87 and replace the stock distributor with the mopar performance electronic distributor kit. It came with and used the std ignition module used from the early 70 to the mid 80's. That along with an excel super coil made a HUGE difference in idle quality and drivability. Uncorking the carb adjustment screws and unplugging the feed back harness also improved mileage and drivability.

KS

Reply to
KS