'92 Dakota front diff. lock

The last few times that I've engaged my 4wd on my '92 Dakota the axle refuses to disengage. I try all the tricks -- back up, power on, power off, etc. and eventually I have to get under the truck and remove the four bolts holding the disconnect housing cover, pull it out a little and manually sliding the shift fork & collar over -- disengaging the axle. Needless to say, I'd like to find a little easier way to disengage it. Is there a history of a particular trouble spot that I should look at first? I thought that I would start at the vacuum can. that is supposed to pull the collar over automatically. In my book it is called the "shift motor assembly". Just to clarify one thing -- my problems is not with the disengagement of the transfer case but rather, the front drive axle. Help

Reply to
tr008

dick

More knowledgable people may correct me, but I think that the mechanism is controlled by engine vacuum You might look for a vacuum leak throughout the system.

Reply to
Ed

Reply to
KennytheKid

You to identify the problem first. Is the 4x4 or the locking front diff not disengaging. The tranfercase is mechanical but the diff is vacumed activated.

Reply to
AKABullseye