Re: 1999 Durango check engine light!!!

"nItpIk" wrote in news:5yRVa.25$EM4.19177 @news.uswest.net:

I have a 2003 Durango and its engine light is on. THe procedure yields a code of P 0456. I suspect it means it's time to change the oil, but not sure. Anyone know what the codes mean?

Ted

Figures > >> Doesn't work on a '99. It works on '00s and up. >> >> > > >
Reply to
Ted Scherbel

Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

Yeah - it means your gas cap is loose. Actually, it points to a small leak in your evaporative emissions system, but the most likely cause is you didn't screw the gas cap on tight enough.

FYI - there's no OBD-II code that tells you to change your oil.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

On my 2001 Ram I had codes for a small leak at least 6 times over the last 5 years. Each time it was a bad hose, bad hose manifold, bad fittings etc. Since new I never went over a year without that error showing up again. Not once was it the gas cap. I have heard thats common but never my luck!

Reply to
miles

Thanks all: I disconnected the battery for a while - now all is well and the error lamp is out. For now.

#$%$!&^% computers......

Reply to
Ted Scherbel

Yep... and if the computer had artificial intelligence, I'm sure it would be mumbling something like, "#$%$!^% humans - can't they learn to tighten a #$%$!^% gas cap?!"

:^)

Reply to
Tom Lawrence