YJ 4WD Problems

I have a 91 YJ w/ 4.0 5speed manual. During the recent snow I got stuck on a hill. Just a normal hill plenty of other SUV's pass me. Took me a long time to finally get it up the hill. I was upset to say the least.

Anyway when slipping the rear end would get sideways (as if in 2wd) and a knocking sound would start that sounds like it's from the front end or maybe directly underneath me. It sounds similar to not fully engaging the 4WD if anyone has done that in their YJ.

Anyone have any ideas? Transfer case? Shift linkage? or what. Any input would be appreciated....

-Brian

Reply to
Brian

Most likely the vacuum actuator that locks the front axle... common YJ problem. Could be as simple as a vacuum hose.

Reply to
JimG

Your front axle connects via a vacuum switch. Maybe you have a shaky connection there not letting it lock in?

You can tell by jacking up one front tire and spinning the wheel. If the driveshaft turns, the front is locked in. If the driveshaft doesn't turn, you have issues there.

Mike

Brian wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

If it's not a maladjusted linkage or something busted in the tcase, it is probably a failure in the vacuum system that connects/disconnects the passenger side outer axle.

There are some vacuum hoses running from the tcase to a diaphragm on the right side of the front axle housing. If any of these line are cracked/plugged, the shift fork won't push the collar on the outer axle onto the splines of the inner, and even though your front shaft is turning, your front wheels won't.

You can easily confirm that this is the problem by removing the hoses at the axle and pulling off the little rectangular aluminum shift fork cover. Cut a bolt to lay along the shift fork shaft and strap it to the shaft so that the fork is jammed hard over to the left. Then move the collar to the left so it covers the splines on both the inner and outer axles and replace the cover, ensuring that the fork is laid in the groove on the collar. You can leave it locked in like this indefinitely at the expense of slight increase in noise and fuel consumption with the front shaft passively turning in 2wd (just like the newer Jeeps do by default).

The easiest solution may be to replace a broken hose, but the best cure for the problematic vacuum disconnect is a shift cable operated manually from the cab. Keeps the front freewheeling in 2-high and gives the option of 2-low. You can buy a kit for a few hundred or make your own for next to nothing. Here are some pics of my cable setup that show the fork & collar:

Steve

Brian wrote:

Reply to
Steve

Do your vacuum lines run under the battery? If they do, they could very well be cracked and broken.

Reply to
Retiredff

Thank you all, i will post what went wrong when i have figured it out. I think i will be getting a manual disconnect from quadratec.

-Brian

Reply to
Brian

I would really try to find out what is going on before wasting money on something you might not need.....

An expensive chunk of cable sure won't help a stretched drive chain in the t-case or fix the motor or tranny mount that has shifted so the gear shift linkage doesn't let you go all the way into 4 high or loosen the rust that is binding the shift linkage stopping it from going all the way in.....

Just my $0.02,

Mike

Brian wrote:

Reply to