98 318

Is anyone having the same problems. I try to keep her tuned and running ok. I have 76,000 miles on her. I recently had to have the intake gasket changed, and did the plenum pan as well, and had the catalytic converter replaced. What Im noticing now, is that fast accelleration, seems as if Im starting out in 4th gear. Big delay in take off..suggestions?

Thanks

Reply to
Sandyk

does it drop down to 1st if you pull the lever to '1' ?

Reply to
TranSurgeon

Actualy, I hadn't tried that. why...

Reply to
Sandyk

I didnt try that, but what I have also found, is that when tried to pass, or jumping on it, she downshifts, but goes through the gears to fast. Kinda like she's slipping? I had a trans flush done, that B&G stuff..talk to me about that govner though..please... Thanks

Reply to
Sandyk

OK, short version

Mopar elected to keep the same 'basic' valve body that has been used forever in the 904/727 and added a piece on for OD and lock-up with the advent of the 500/518 units

then they decided to stay with it when they went to the 'electronic governor'

the vehicle speed sensor tells the ECM what the speed is; the ECM tells a 'governor pressure solenoid' to generate a hydraulic pressure corresponding to vehicle speed

so far, so good, if they'd stopped there............

but then the 'diddle with it' urge overcame common sense, and they added a 'governor pressure transducer' to feed back the GPS pressure to the ECM, to 'see if it was working right'

unfortunately, the GPT doesn't read the pressure right (thinks its too low) and the ECM tells the GPS to jack up the pressure

a scan tool will show 'governor pressure' of 20, 30, even 50 psi at stop, when it should be zero

result is 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th gear starts

get a scanner on it and watch the 'gov press' line when it acts up

TranSurgeon