About 2008 Dodge Avenger SE

Me too. For some reason, I just can't put any Japanese car in that category. I suppose that the Honda S2000 has just as much right to be considered a sports car as a Mini Cooper S.

Must be that bombing incident 65 years ago. :-)

Craig C.

Reply to
Craig C.

"Craig C." wrote in news:HZAei.2728$vi5.1915 @newssvr17.news.prodigy.net:

Yeah, they are cool. But no way can it be called a sports car...

Reply to
Joe

azwiley1 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@q19g2000prn.googlegroups.com:

I don't know that either of those qualify as a specific definition, but both definitions pretty much preclude some of the cars already considered in this thread.

Reply to
Joe

azwiley1 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@w5g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

Larry, ya gotta make up yer mind. Is it what you said above, or is it the definition from your other post??

Reply to
Joe

"Craig C." wrote in news:IIBei.474$K44.163 @newssvr13.news.prodigy.net:

The S2000 is way more of a sports car than the Mini. And that's even by Larry's posted definitions..

Reply to
Joe

I think these folks might disagree with you:

Those races are a riot to watch.

Craig C.

Reply to
Craig C.

innews: snipped-for-privacy@w5g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

No I don't have to make up my mind. A statement was made about there not being a specific definition of "sports cars" so I provided two different ones. No where did I ever indicate that they were MY definitions.

Reply to
azwiley1

Once again, those are not MY definitions. I cited the sources for both and sorry to say neither are referenced as Larry's. Sorry Joe, follow along please. :)

Reply to
azwiley1

Speaking of sports cars, I just saw this and thought it was rather fitting for this thread.

azwiley1

azwiley1 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g37g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

LOL! O-kay.

Reply to
Joe

azwiley1 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@x35g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

No problem. I'd just love to hear the DB9 owner's response to the Mini owner who says his Mini is a sports car.

Reply to
Joe

I don't see how anybody can call a car that weighs in excess of 4,000 friggin' pounds a sport car. You folks telling me that my Charger SRT is a damn sports car????

Reply to
Roy

Since the Lancer is built on the same platform as the Caliber is the EVO similar to the Caliber SRT4 which Dodge keeps delaying its rollout?

I suppose the SRT4 might be classified as a sports car as it does have a

300hp engine. But to me its a low end affordable fast car for those that can't afford a real sports car! It's front wheel drive so I wonder how they've dealt with torque steer issues.
Reply to
miles

Because FWD cars are well known to have torque steer issues when high output engines are used. They just don't compete with RWD sports cars with everything else being equal.

Reply to
miles

I don't consider a FWD a sports car as they just do not handle high torque as well as a RWD in steering. But I don't get bent out of shape of who calls what a sports car. Everyone has their own opinions.

Reply to
miles

It most certainly would not. A fair amount of those buyers may have purchased an automatic had a manual not been available. They may have bought the manual simply because it was much lower priced and not because they wanted a stick shift. Thats why so many cars come with a stick only in the stripped base models.

Hmmm..I said it was higher demand for automatics and you reply NO...then explain to me how its demand...easier sales. Yes TBone, people buy automatics because thats what they want and prefer. If more people wanted sticks then more would be on the lot.

Tom, this is because of higher demand for automatics!! You seem to think dealers stock what they want to sell and people follow. No Tom, dealers stock what people want.

Reply to
miles

"Roy" wrote in news:XKWdnRSJP snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

That thing's a muscle car, and a damn good one at that.

Reply to
Joe

miles wrote in news:3LFei.57401$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe18.lga:

Although, gotta admit - AWD is pretty cool.

Reply to
Joe

miles wrote in news:fJFei.57398$2K1.36772 @newsfe18.lga:

All three cars are sport compacts and not true sports cars. The basis for those cars is a weeniemobile platform, not a sports car platform.

The Neon SRT4 and the up-and-coming Caliber SRT4 are the same thing - weeniemobile platforms tweaked out to actually handle decently. Too bad they're only FWD. Torque steer nightmares.

Reply to
Joe

As do some rwd cars with a bunch of hp.

Reply to