Anyone having problems with fuel system with there cummins??

No, no recall.

Steve brought up a good point before about possible damage from pump cavitation. Did they find the lines rusted out, and used that to conclude that water was in the system, or did they just find damaged injectors and a worn pump?

In other words, did they really find 12 gallons of water in the tank, or did the damage they observed lead them to conclude it "must have been" due to excessive water?

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Yes have voided warranty, but meant Chrylsler voided it. I've been to the only two dealerships around, and ungreatfully have to have the two worst. I didn't see any edvidence that I had water in the fuel. The only thing was it was running like crap and brought in the one dealership said that had water in tank, so paid for full pump out of tank, (which they didn't fully at time tell me that cause get damage)the next day drive it around, still runs like crap, so bring into another dealership and the find water again, and they are the ones that reported it to chrysler. Soon to find out that the first dealership didn't pump it out all the way and so the water settled to bottom, and that what the second dealership found. What I can't figure out how they can tell me that I had that much water in the tank???? No truck can run on that much. If I had that much, don't ya think I would be putting the whole way or on side the road???

Reply to
Gary

So I'm not the only one calling for nose plugs on this......

Reply to
Max Dodge

When I was working at a dealership we had an interesting problem. The state had a 1 ton gas 4X4 with a utility box added to it. This truck returned 3 times due to drivability problems and no start problems, it had water in the fuel.. We found that if we drained the fuel tank and refueled it it would be fine. The truck would go back in service and in about a weeks time it would return. On the third visit we finally figured it out. Apparently, when the vendor of the utility bed installed the bed on the truck the fuel fill hose became damaged. It looked like a sawsall put a cut in the top of the hose. We could only see this with a mirror. The rig never leaked any fuel during refueling cause the cut was at the top of the hose and we only refilled it enough to give it back to the state. Apparently when it rained water would run down the back of the cab and drain onto the hose and eventually into the tank........my 2 cents....Mr.B.

Reply to
Mr. Bignose

yeah it nothing inlines of accident cut... nothing been changed on it. but it does makes me wonder.......

Reply to
Gary

no, things don't sound right, that what is exacty wrong here.

Reply to
Gary

Yeah, but what doesn't sound right is your account of it. Why was the truck denied warranty? What evidence of water in the fuel do they have? If their techs KNOW the WIF light didn't come on, why isn't the dealer following their own employees findings?

Right there is why I have a hard time buying this.

Reply to
Max Dodge

The truck was denied warranty because the water found it the tank. They say that found 33% water in it and they took the frist sample from inject. line between the filter and the pump.That the edvdience. but when I drained the tank myself I barily got water. I mean not even a miliL. And about 34 gallon tank. so I don't know anymore. The dealer doesn't really have a handle on this anymore. They seem to now make sure go through chrysler for everything.I have no idea why they are not going through this like they should. They is plenty of edvidence that shows this could have been prevented if they would have faulty parts. Right now I am in the middle of going to dealerships and having the techs that worked on my truck, do this surrvey that states simple questions like, did you drive the truck in and out of the building, did you see and WIF light, then sighing, so I'm going to have this layed out pretty good. I know it doesn't sound right how this is happening, like I said thats why I know someone on the other side has something twisted

Reply to
Gary

One thing that didn't jive to me, was dodge claiming a $7,000 to $10,000 repair bill for Pump, and Injectors? Jesus, how much does the whole motor cost?

I'm not sure exactly who you have called, and spoken with, but if you have not done so yet, I'd definitely give the Zone office a call, and talk to a factory rep.

Have this person come out to the dealer in question, and all of you are going to have to get your heads together. About all you have to go by, is the service bills-sheets.

You'll have to mention that you never got a WIF light come on, so how were you supposed to know? Does the service write up confirm that?

Sounds to me, that this Dodge Dealer likes placing the blame on their customers, and are ignoring a legitimate warrantee claim.

Either way, it's not them that lose money, they get paid for the work one way, or another.

Back when I bought my '90, the Cummins Engine was a great engine. It was put in a quite shitty, inadequate, outdated truck though.

The newer design truck has many improvements, but over time also, the Cummins 5.9L has also become more sophisicated, with lots more PITA "computer crap" on board.

My '90 Cummins had nothing on it. Just a Cold Start Advance, and Anti-Lock Brakes. That was the only computerized electronic device under the hood, nothing else.

I never had a problem with the Engine, it was always everything else.

I wish you luck getting this all resolved with your truck. Remember, keep a cool head, as getting nasty with the reps, etc will surely get you nowhere. I understand, I'd be fuming mad myself probably at the lack of concern, and runaround by the dealer, but if these issues are not handled properly, you wont get anywhere with them.

It may even be a good idea to contact Cummins themselves, and speak with some people about this. Cummins doesn't like to hear about problems with their engines due to a problem of a dodge manufactured part. Mark

Reply to
Mark D

Thank you for your help, yes, right now I in the beginning od the lemon process. I have wrote a letter claiming my truck is wrothless and I claim the lemon law. In time of all this happening last week, I needed a new truck, and I needed the 4x4 because I needed better transportation, after a week of looking and trying decide a color, I bought a new ford super duty, it is quite a cool, truck. It werid going to a ford after all the years with dodge. Thanks again for everyones help!!!Gary

Reply to
Gary

At 36,000 miles? I didn't think any state extended Lemon Law coverage that far...

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

I STILL think this guy is full of crap. Why ask a group of non certified, non experts who couldn't be called on to testify, about his problems with a Cummins engine allegedly destroyed by water, that:

1) Is already being dumped out of warranty 2) Appears to have cost too much UNDER warranty 3) Has unclear issues between what the dealer claims, and what the dealer employeees (who are, for all intents and purposes, the observers for the dealership) saw 4) Is allegedly in a legal process of some sort, thus alleviating the further need for advice on how to fix it 5) has just allegedly been replaced by another truck, meaning that the OP is now paying for TWO trucks. 6) Which means he doesn't have a reason to file for the lemon law, since he'd get more $$ for the truck privately if it were NOT declared a lemon.

This whole situation is a bit lacking in full disclosure.

Reply to
Max Dodge

my warranty goes until 36,000, and the lemon law covers vechlies with voided warranty and or susspose have warranty.I'm not driving the truck anymore so the mileage/warranty(suspose to have) is not going anywhere. For now the truck is a yard decoration.

Reply to
Gary

I don't care if your think I'm full of crap. I know what I am going through right now, I know it a load of crap, but thats what kind of unrealistic crap I'm going through. I'm not really looking for people to testify. I'm just looking if other people had the same problem....just to see how common it is.I know ppl on net can't testify.I really don't need that type of information to win the battle. Also about the two trucks, I really had no choice in my business and the weather ,my family can not last without a truck with 4x4

Reply to
Gary