Bio-diesel update ... ?

Hi all,

The last post regarding bio-diesel was back in early February. Just wondering if anyone has read/heard/experienced anything about this?

I'm in Dallas and there is a bio-diesel producer here that has two stations, one in Addison and one in Denton (I think). Both of which pump B100 (i.e. 100%, not blended). And in a small area south of Dallas (Carls Corner), Willy Nelson supposedly has a filling station that pumps B20 (20% bio, 80% petroleum).

I read that Cummins endorses up to 5% blend. The company that has the two stations here in Dallas pull around a portable tank (filled with bio-diesel) with a Ram 3500 that runs B100 with no problem.

Craig C.

Reply to
craig

I suspect that the reason Cummins endorses a 5% blend is that Bosch, who makes the injection systems used on Cummins engines last time I looked, endorses a 5% blend.

When it comes to fuel I have found Bosch to be EXTREMELY conservative when it comes to alternative fuels. When I talked to a Bosch engineer about possible modifications required for running vegetable oil I was told I should go look up "envirocrackpots.com". This is Bosch's corporate attitude toward alternative fuels. Basically, it's a case of "We don't care, we don't have to, we're the largest manufacturer of diesel injection equipment in the world, we have you by the short-and-curlies, and we know it." I have gotten this feeling from Bosch every time I've dealt with them about anything.

I've been running B100 in my two old trucks with no problems, and the only thing I've had to do was replace old rubber fuel lines with new synthetic ones. And this is on mid 1980's Isuzu engines with V type rotary pumps.

My feeling on it is that you should be able to run B100 with no problems, and you'll probably find that your trucks run better on it. Mine do.

AP

Reply to
Alan Petrillo

Interesting, I would be interested in running Bio fuel too, but, it's not a recommended fuel in my 2005 3500. I think I'll stick with the fossil fuel main;y because I don't want to void my warranty.

It would be cool driving down the road, stomping on the accelerator, and watching all the nimrods exit at the nearest McD's cause you just filled the air with french fry oil....

Reply to
MoParMaN

Supposedly, it only voids the warranty on the fuel system. However, what I have read has been "fuzzy". Truth is, I can't find a single instance of the *newer* Dodge trucks having any problems. Quite the opposite, actually. The 50 or so cases that I know of that use bio (either B5, B20 or B100) have all had outstanding success.

Have you thought of trying a blend? B5 or B20 to start until you feel comfortable with B100?

That's what I plan to do. However, the only place that I know of that pumps B20 is south of Dallas, which isn't convenient. It would take

1/4 of a tank to get there.

Are you in Dallas? Perhaps I am confusing you with someone else, but I thought I had read in some of your posts that you are. If so and you are on the north side of the metroplex, the only option is to mix it yourself. Then you can mix whatever % you like. B5 if you don't want any warranty issues ...

I'm sure their are other places, as well.

It's a conspiracy. The oil companies know they are losing their grip on the need for petroleum, so they have bought up stock in junk food joints ...

;) Craig C.

Reply to
craig

I live in Cedar Hill, but my office is in the Telcom Corridor.

Reply to
MoParMaN