changing the waterpump on a 99 durango

I have a leaky waterpump on a 99 durango with the 5.9L engine. It looks like I have to remove the radiator to pull the waterpump. Is there a special trick to disconnecting the tranny cooler, either leaving it bolted to the radiator and pulling it out, or disconnecting the tranny cooler from the radiator from the radiator and leaving the tranny cooler in the car? One of the tranny cooler lines looks like it will be very difficult to disconnect and pull out with the radiator.

Reply to
Dave

why don't you use a 36mm fan wrench and take the fan off like is intended and leave the radiator in? A couple of whacks with a rubber mallet on the handle of the fan wrench and the fans come right off. thus giving you plenty of room. Seems like i remember having to pull the fan/fan shroud up at the same time though, maybe on a 4x4 model...it's been a while since i done one.

Reply to
Christopher D. Thompson

Nope - just need to unbolt the fan shroud from the radiator. Remove the fan and shroud together.

As to removing the fan itself, check and see whether your waterpump pulley is bolted to the pump (there will be four bolts around the center of the pulley), or if it's pressed on. I know the '00s are pressed on, not sure about the '99s.

If it's bolted on, you just need the 36mm fan wrench to remove it, as you can hold back on the pulley via one of the mounting bolts. If it's pressed on, you'll need a spanner wrench to keep the pulley from turning (there are holes in the face of the pulley for the spanner prongs).

You may get lucky, and the belt tension may be enough to hold the pulley while you smack the wrench to loosen the clutch nut - however, this wasn't the case on my friend's '00 Durango.... sucker was on there TIGHT. It broke two of my in-house-custom-made spanner wrenches... pays to rent the correct tool. If you do, make SURE it's designed for a pressed-on pulley... most of the kits are made for bolt-on pulleys (they assume you'll have some bolts to grab on to).

Reply to
Tom Lawrence