Worst thing you can do to a transmission?

Just wanted to take a little survey here...............

In your opinion, what is the Number One "worst" thing that you can do to a transmission?

Reply to
Pentastar

The answer partly depends on what type of transmission, manual or automatic. It also depends on the vehicle because some "worst" things in one vehicle might be a cheap fix in another. So it's a silly question by someone who I suppose wants to participate in some way and knows little about vehicles or mechanics. I suggest just monitoring the groups and when a question comes up in a real world situation, post it.

Reply to
Al Bundy
  1. Auto ... tow at/near max load without a cooler.
  2. Related, transfer case ... with part time 4wd, drive in 4H/4L on non-slip e.g. dry pavement surface.
  3. And as with all things fluid, neglect to check fluid levels.

Reply to
bowgus

The worst thing that one could do to a transmission would be to abuse it. (My vague answer to a vaguely worded question).

Reply to
John S.

To be more specific, what is the Number One "worst" thing that you can do to an automatic transmission?

Reply to
Pentastar

Funny you should ask as mine shit the bed last week....and i took very good cared of it... changed the fluid, always waitite to stop before i put it i park... used the parking brake before i took my foot of the foot brake so it wouldnt rest on the tranny....but the thing still shit the bed.... moral of the story is... it doesnt matter what yo udo to the tranny...... it is still gonna fail you eventually... oh .. i had 126,000 miles on it....but that doesnt' matter either...certain manufacturer's transmissions aren't made to last past the life of the car....i am having mine rebuilt as we speak... or as I speak.. lol...

Fwed

Reply to
fweddybear

Let a teenager drive the car.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

The worst thing I personally ever did was to throw it in reverse, then try to shift into drive without stopping. I went past Drive, into Park. Snapped the parking pawl, lead to an overhaul. Was on a 57 Ford Thunderbird.

Reply to
<HLS

Run it without fluid. Deadly.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Drive it off a cliff.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Ignore changing your fluid and filter according to mfgr. recommended intervals.

Also, periodically check fluid level and color of fluid.

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

Neutral dropping, running it dry, without a filter or running it with sand without a filter, running it overfull. Anything that will cause it to die either immediately or within several miles of whatever you did.

Reply to
Bruce Chang

Not much point to all this if it has been driven off just a moderate cliff. Perhaps you have not understood the question? ;-)

Huw

Reply to
Huw

But what is 'number one "worst"?' A list of between six and infinite worses is not very helpful.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Put the vehicle against a strong wall facing forward: put the transmission in gear and put a cinderblock on the gas pedal and step back and watch the fun begin.

Reply to
dansecat

Don't you think the tyres or engine will give out first. It would be fun to find out. You supply the car and wall and I'll bring a couple of bottles of Champagne.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Drain out the transmission fluid and replace it with sodium hydroxide.

Reply to
ShazWozza

OK, then drain the transmission fluid and replace it with GASOLINE!

Then...make sure the video camera is filming this.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

Asking a question that is completely subjective and vague doesn't get a definitive answer.

Reply to
Bruce Chang

I find the question to be precise well put. He asks for the number one worst thing you can do to a transmission which he intends to be an automatic. Since a transmission is not a living thing and therefore not prone to pain or cruelty as such, then we must assume some form of mistreatment leading to a drastically reduced service life. A sense of humour and imagination helps to find the answer.

Huw

Reply to
Huw