cummins oil drain plug

It's time to change the oil on my new (to me) '97 2500. I crawl underneath and see the oil drain plug has a 3/8 rachet square hole opening. I put my rachet in the hole and .....nothing.

No amount of reasonable effort in a normal counter-clockwise rotation will loosen it. I'm having visions (nightmares) of a stripped out plug. Does this plug really loosen in a counterclockwise direction (while facing the plug) or it it reverse thread? How tight should this plug be torqued in?????

Any help really appreciated.

Reply to
JustinW

I have a 2000 CTD and yes it is counter clockwise just like a regular oil drain. I tighten mine snug ,then half a turn.

Reply to
dirtclod

I have a 2000 CTD and yes it is counter clockwise just like a regular oil drain. I tighten mine snug ,then half a turn.

Reply to
dirtclod

The torque spec. on the plug is 44ft.lbs. Hit the ratchet with a rubber mallet (in a counter-clockwise direction - standard threads). It'll come loose.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

...and watch out for the rebounding mallet, or use a dead-blow hammer and it won't bounce back at ya. Bryan

Reply to
Bryan

You're not gonna believe this - I bent the handle of an el-cheapo rachet trying to get that plug off. Finally went and bought a quality 3/8 breaker bar and used a 3 foot cheater bar slid over the handle.

It came off easily and revealed there was no rubber washer. I got my fingers crossed, so far it looks like no damage occured from the idiot "mechanic" who changed the oil last......

Reply to
JustinW

Reply to
forester

I picked one up from my auto parts store for $6 the day I changed the oil. I really can't believe the pan threads are still intact. The Cummins is one tough engine to put up with this kind of abuse.

Reply to
JustinW