Dakota Diesel

Reply to
Electrician

A 'raghead' is an idiot who wears a rag on his head. hence the name. An alternative term is towelhead. It depends on whether they wear a bathroom towel or just a common garage rag on their head as to whether they are properly called raghead or towelhead. There is nothing 'racist' about it, it's just an accurate description of what the moron chooses to wear.

Reply to
Electrician

Is Detyriot where you buy the crack you smoke?

JS

Reply to
JS

The "new" diesels will start coming with catalytic converters, which will do a lot of scrubbing against the NOx? Thats the biggest reason why sulfur is being eliminated - so you can actually use an effective cat.

Now, if Cummins/Chrysler was just smart enough to start extracting the waste heat in the exhaust system to do something productive... BMW has managed to extract another 20-30% from exhaust heat alone.

You do realize you can run a diesel on a lot more than just a diesel, right? Spray some hairspray, propane, or whatever else in a diesel's intake sometime and see what you get. Avoid 'cleaner' products as they'll wipe the lubrication right off the cylinder walls.

JS

Reply to
JS

No but it likely is yours. true emissons is grams or lbs per mile, not PPM because in a turbo diesel you can delute the PPM in exhaust while still dumping a lot of polutants volume wise but if you knew this you would not have made your "crack". Gas engine would run a lot better today if they had been allowed to skirt around most emission requirement like diesel have in the past. It will be a more level playing field starting in 2008 and it will get stricter every year for diesels until they basically catch up with gassers.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

While they will start using CAT's in 08, diesels make so much NOx that they cannot controll it with CAT's alone. They are experamenting with different methods of capturing or converting NOx and one of those methods include ammonia injection in exhaust manifolds.(either from a cartridge that you must change regularly or have a seperate tank for it that you refill from time to time) If you read and researched more before you commented you would know what a serious problem NOx reduction in a diesel presents for Detriot. They are not happy that their loop hole is being closed. And it get "better" yet, California has set CO2 limits on vehicle emission that start taking effect in about 2009 which REALLY has Detriot worried and shakey in their boots. They are fighting it vigorously in court (they will not win though as legal advisors have stated from the beginning) and being that 1 out of every 5 vehicles made is sold in California, it is just a question of time before it becomes federal too. When that happens it will do what high gas prices have not been able to do yet, kill big SUV sales completely because they will have to start building them smaller and lighter so less CO2 is produced by their operation because in the scope of things, CO2 is a pollutant too that is over due regulation as well.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Has anyone converted a Dakota to a diesel system?

Reply to
NapalmHeart

Interesting...my '98 Ram 2500 4X4 Cummins has a factory CAT. It seems they've been putting CATs on those trucks for around 10 years now.

Reply to
CyberSurfer

Cats went on the Dodges January 1, 1994 and came off Januay 1, 1998 when the 24 valve Cummins was introduced. That's when we got resonators some mistake for cats.

Reply to
BigIronRam

Guess again, it does not have a CAT. It is a thermo reactor meant to limit suspended particulates but many call them CATs by mistake.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Do the '04.5 and newer Cummins 5.9L's come with cats today?

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Yup, my 05 has one. Doesn't smell like a diesel anymore with it.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Guess again, it is still a thermo reactor because the sulpher in diesel fuel will kill a CAT (this is the reason they removed it from gas long ago) THe reason it smell different today is because of improvement in injection and the amout of sulpher being reduded for EPA mandate to require true CATS to be installed on diesels starting with 08 models. Many mistakingly call them CAT's.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Whatever ya want to call it ya can't remove it. Reduced sulfur? Would it smell different if I used red diesel?

Reply to
Roy

So that "many" would include the manufacturer, because they refer to them as catalytic converters in all of their documentation.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Well, Sno says they're not cats, so he's right and everyone else is wrong...

Had he said that starting in '07 (of course, he's convinced the new diesel emissions regs kick in starting in '08... whatever), diesels will be using THREE-WAY cat-cons, instead of the two-way cat's that have been used in the past - he'd almost sound like he knows what he's talking about.

Ah well... what do we know. We still think 8.0" and 8.25" are distinct and unique measurements. Sno says they're the same. Go figure...

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

LOL I know.... and I tried to bite my tongue.

Reply to
Chris Thompson

I guess I'll be the first =)

Supposedly, they build (built) Dak Diesels in Brazil. Got a 2.5L Detrioit Diesel with 221 Ft/lb torque. This would make it comparable to my old 3.9L gas Dak. I'm in the market for around 300 Ft/lb, so the Brazilian Dak won't cut it. One of the Mercedes motors will likely do the trick for me.

-GB

Reply to
Gill Bentry

I recall a site where a guy dropped a 3.9L Cummins into his Dakota. Took a bit of doing, but it came out pretty nice.

Of course, there's always the Banks Sidewinder truck :)

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

have you looked at the italin made engine used in the liberty. it has the numbers your looking for.

Reply to
Chris Thompson