Dakota Recall??

Caught the tail end of a Fox News report this AM about a recall of some Dakots concerning a trannie (Park pall?) problem. I missed the meat of what they were saying.

Was unable to find it on the recall sites that Google pulled up.

Anybody got the real "Skinnie"??

Thanks

"Leroy"

Reply to
Leroy

WASHINGTON -- Chrysler said Friday it's recalling nearly 600,000 Dodge trucks and vans.

The company said it's addressing concerns that the vehicles could shift out of park without the key in the ignition.

Chrysler said there have been nine incidents involving injuries connected to the problem, but no fatalities have been reported.

The recall affects 576,417 2001-2002 Dodge Dakota trucks and Dodge Durango sport utility vehicles and the 2002 Dodge Ram pickup.

Owners will be notified starting in January 2008 and dealers will replace the gearshift blocker and bracket assembly.

In the meantime, the company is advising vehicle owners to use the parking brake at all times when the vehicle isn't in use.

This was on my local news station.

Reply to
Bill

Suddenly, without warning, Bill exclaimed (12/9/2007 6:37 AM):

"shifts out of park". So this only affects automatics? Doesn't say in the article.

jmc

Reply to
jmc

If you go to the link, at the bottom it goes to Chrysler. From there you can find more.

And Yes, I heard it is for automatics.

Reply to
Bill

Does your 5spd gearshift have a 'P' on it? :)

It sounds like this recall is actually going to replace some hardware - unlike the last "shifts out of park" recall they had last year on the Rams, where the "fix" was to program an alarm to go off (sounding the horn) if the driver's door was opened with the vehicle not in Park. This was essentially operator error - people weren't putting the gearshift all the way up into park, but far enough where the key would release.

Of course, we should all be using our parking brakes all the time, but I'm as guilty as the next person. It was always second nature for me to do so in my 5spd truck, but I have to specifically think about it to do so in my automatics.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Living in an area where they use salt on the roads in the winter and chloride on the gravel roads during the summer I virtually never use parking brakes. The cables will usually get stuck and lock the brakes on.

Ken

Reply to
NapalmHeart

Operator error? Aw, pshaw Tom, surely not! It's always the car..... or the dealer..... or somebody else.... but NEVER the operator.

;^)

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

Go to

and put the last 8 digits of your vin in the box at the left. That will tell you what recalls are out on your vehicle.

Reply to
Nosey

about time someone got it right!!!! *cheezy grin*

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

Thanks "Nosey" and to the other responders as well. Thats a good website to have on "favorites".

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night.

"Leroy"

Reply to
Leroy