An inconvenient Truth (OT)

Just saw this film - very powerful. Had the added pleasure of a 20 minute Q&A with Al Gore afterwards. Whatever your political beliefs, whoever you voted for - do yourself a favor, see this film. It's not a political thing - it's a moral thing.

Reply to
Pat Drnec

The real inconvenient truth for Mr. Gore is that he is a few nuts short of a Snickers bar and his movie is nothing more than bad science fiction.

And then this by some real scientists refuting the notion that storms are getting worse...

These findings are contradictory to the conclusions drawn by Emanuel [2005] and Webster et al. [2005]. They do not support the argument that global TC frequency, intensity and longevity have undergone increases in recent years. Utilizing global ??best track?? data, there has been no significant increasing trend in ACE and only a small increase (10%) in Category 4?5 hurricanes over the past twenty years, despite an increase in the trend of warming sea surface temperatures during this time period.

Jeff DeWitt

Read this just released study as requested by a Congress.

Jeff DeWitt wrote:

John Poulos

BTW, you do know this about the Junkscience guy you linked to, do you not ?

" "Junk Science" commentator, Steven Milloy, was receiving money from ExxonMobil while attacking research on global warming. Thacker also revealed secret tobacco industry documents indicating that Milloy was receiving almost $100,000 a year from Philip Morris, while he ridiculed the science proving the hazards of second-hand smoke. This and other efforts have been explained by Phillip Morris executives in the 1988 "Whitecoat Project" as keeping alive the controversy of environmental tobacco smoke."

Jeff DeWitt wrote:

John Poulos

You guys should realize that anytime the politicians get involved its for their OWN political gain. Not the best interest of "we the people". How about a healthy dose of skepticism here. Both Democrats and Republicans have made it their goal to separate the people into warring factions, while they are the only winners in the new political game. We the people should stick together AGAINST the government, not allow them to create infighting amongst ourselves. When that happens, we lose rights while they become more entrenched in power OVER us. They will never put our needs above their own. After all, they are all politicians. That's what they dol

Reply to
Sals54

Reply to
midlant

Bored Pat?

Bob40....who will sit back and watch as 87 messages full of political mudslinging will turn up on the NG.The predictable diatrabes by the usual suspects which solves nothing.

Reply to
Bob

You are very likely right about generating a very long thread and the contributors thereto. But I found it astounding that people deny the occurrence of global warming. Maybe I'm a "glass half empty" person, but as I sit here waiting to have another skin cancer removed how can our warmer winters, hotter and dryer summers, record hurricane seasons be ignored. And there are hundreds if not millions of other indicators. I try not to respond to these threads and I won't say any more, but I had to say something about a subject this important (and scary). Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

Crap... I'm out to the shop....

You can tell a %$#@ election is coming, the bell has rung, and the drool is starting to flow.... I'll show you an inconvenient truth. The campaign never ended. It just has a new method of exposure.

Working in my shop is a moral thing. I use a LOT of electricity in there .. Some coal had to die for me to do that. (or was it some atoms had to be spilt?) No trees died in the making of the electricity I use. Maybe I warmed the environment. No, I know I did. I ate spicy food last night.

Reply to
Jeff Rice

I prefer the analysis by Dr. Gray (of hurricane forecasting fame) that points to the real crux of the "warming" hysteria...

JT

John Poulos wrote:

Grumpy AuContraire

Yep... It always boils down to a "Follow the money" scenario. You know, like it takes more energy to produce a gallon of ethanol than it yields...

JT

Sals54 wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

What questions did you ask Al, and what were his answers?

"Pat Drnec" wrote...

Reply to
Jeff Rice

Far and away, the #1 motion picture during the run of "An Inconvenient Truth" is a movie called "Cars". Just stating the facts.

Reply to
Kevin Wolford

But.....but...but..... No cars were killed during the making of the movie 'Cars'..... Not real cars that is....

Here's a convenient truth.... I don't friggin' care!

Jeff (attitude....Studebaker attitude...) Rice

"Kevin Wolford" wrote .

Reply to
Jeff Rice

It was a packed movie theater, I didn't have the opportunity to ask any questions personally.

Believe it or not, I meant what I said. It's not a political th> What questions did you ask Al, and what were his answers?

Reply to
Pat Drnec

Obviously the owner of an R2 Avanti.....

-George-

63 GT Hawk 63 Champ 56 Sky Hawk 50 Packard Eight 40 Packard 120
Reply to
reichsrundfunk

Simple logic dictates that it would be a good thing to clean up the atmosphere and cut emission everywhere as much as possible. But I suppose as soon as we get the emissions down, we'll probably get hit by a giant falling satellite or a meteorite and wind up replenishing all the oil we took from the dinosaurs.

-George-

63 GT Hawk 63 Champ 56 Sky Hawk 50 Packard Eight 40 Packard 120
Reply to
reichsrundfunk

Hmmm... an environmentalist movie shown in West Hollywood, and it was "a packed movie theater". Alert the press!!!

I guess Pat and Al missed the segment on NBC Nightly News (note this wasn't Fox News) last week where they did bit on the rapidly developing pollution problems in China. It looked like an orangish-brown blizzard and visibility was about a block in one of the cities... they wish for Los Angeles bad day smog. Me switching over to a Hybrid car isn't going to do a damn thing when we have 3rd world countries burning and clear cutting down everything in sight. We can't keep Julio and Jose out of San Diego, what luck do we have of having Click and Double-Click from cutting down trees in Africa or Wang Chung's Walmart producing factories from filtering his hundreds of coal belching smokestacks?

I think Californians need to worry more about the major quake predicted to hit in the next 10-30 years. Forecasts are for this one to put the earthquake of 1906 up there with a walk in the park. Anybody got some future Arizona beachfront property for sale?

One thing the environmentalists forget... Mother Nature has a way of correcting things herself. If the human race screws up too bad, she'll just eliminate the source of the problem and go into a self-healing process.

I hear Bill Clinton is working on a documentary about abstinence.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

OK. You did what you intended, and said your piece. I'll leave it alone... Jeff

"Pat Drnec" wrote...

Reply to
Jeff Rice

Reply to