An inconvenient Truth (OT)

Just saw this film - very powerful. Had the added pleasure of a 20 minute Q&A with Al Gore afterwards. Whatever your political beliefs, whoever you voted for - do yourself a
favor, see this film. It's not a political thing - it's a moral thing.
--
Remove all the x's to email.

The only label that fits:
βœ–
Pat Drnec wrote:

The real inconvenient truth for Mr. Gore is that he is a few nuts short of a Snickers bar and his movie is nothing more than bad science fiction.
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2006/06/gores_truth_is_more_like_scien.html
http://www.junkscience.com/Greenhouse /
http://www.reason.com/rb/rb061606.shtml
And then this by some real scientists refuting the notion that storms are getting worse...
These findings are contradictory to the conclusions drawn by Emanuel [2005] and Webster et al. [2005]. They do not support the argument that global TC frequency, intensity and longevity have undergone increases in recent years. Utilizing global ‘‘best track’’ data, there has been no significant increasing trend in ACE and only a small increase (10%) in Category 4–5 hurricanes over the past twenty years, despite an increase in the trend of warming sea surface temperatures during this time period.
http://hurricane.atmos.colostate.edu/Includes/Documents/Publications/klotzbach2006.pdf
Add pictures here
βœ–
Read this just released study as requested by a Congress.
Jeff DeWitt wrote:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2006/06/gores_truth_is_more_like_scien.html

http://hurricane.atmos.colostate.edu/Includes/Documents/Publications/klotzbach2006.pdf

--
JP/Maryland
Studebaker On the Net http://stude.com
John Poulos wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–
That's one scientist compared to the National Academy of Science, which was picked by a Republican congress to do an unbiased report.

Add pictures here
βœ–
If it were not for things like hurricane, man could not live on the earth. The rotating earth cause winds that take the heat from the equatorial areas of the earth and moves it towards the poles. That in turn forces cold air toward the equatorial areas of the earth.
mike hunt

Add pictures here
βœ–
Too much wrong in that post to correct it all, but the basic cause of all winds can be traced to contrasts in temperature, nothing to do with the earths rotation since the atmosphere rotates with the earth otherwise we'd have a hell of a draft.
Mike Hunter wrote:

--
JP/Maryland
Studebaker On the Net http://stude.com
βœ–
Actually, (in this case) Mike is closer to the mark than you.
He described (though crudely) the effects of a Hadley Cell.
http://www.answers.com/topic/hadley-cell
Toss in the Coriolis (turntable) effect and bingo, areas of high and low pressure are created etc.
JT
(Minor was meteorology)
John Poulos wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–
One must speak simply, for simple people to understand. Besides when I do teach a school I get paid extremely well. ;)
mike hunt

Add pictures here
βœ–
And one must accept simple solutions without questioning them in order to speak simply and wrongly at the same time. The page clearly point out that the basic cause of wind is the suns energy, which heats the air and causes it to rise. Cooler air rushes in to replace that air. In other words, "contrasts in temperature" which is what John said.

Add pictures here
βœ–
So hot and cold air causes the jet stream? The page only has written on it what they want you to read. Jeff
"Alex Magdaleno" wrote...

βœ–
Those who what to believe Al Gore should know he once said the El Nino was caused by the warn air from global warning LOL
mike hunt

Add pictures here
βœ–

Knowing how often you get things wrong, I would bet he was more specific than that, but even that statement would be true as far as it goes. Hot air rising does cause El Nino, as the following page shows. The hot air is caused by the hotter than normal ocean--
http://whyfiles.org/050el_nino/2.html

Add pictures here
βœ–
"``El Nino events have become much more common and much stronger,'' Gore told an audience of 2,000 at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium. ``Whether that's connected to global warming is uncertain. But preparing for this one may well help us prepare for others in the future. We may look back at this as a turning point.''
Alex Magdaleno wrote:

--
JP/Maryland
Studebaker On the Net http://stude.com
βœ–
I give up.
The last strong El Nino was in the late 1990's...
JT
John Poulos wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–
You're getting frustrated because you are gettin off on a tangent. The discussion on this part of the thread was whether or not Al Gore said that El Nino was caused by global warming. John proved that he didn't. He did not discuss why a warmer earth does not produce an El Nino every year, but I'm sure there is a good scientific explanation.

Add pictures here
βœ–
There is, it depend on how much changing undersea volcanic activity warms the Pacific ocean. 70% of all the earths volcanoes are under the earths oceans and there activities vary with the movement of the tectonic plates. The Hawaii islands are a vivid example of volcanic and tectonic plate movement, over million of years. At some point in time the first in the island chain will disappear under the India continent as a result of induction.
mike hunt

Add pictures here
βœ–
I'm still waiting for that scientific web page proving that volcanic activity has much to do with ocean warming.

Add pictures here
βœ–
In all but maybe specific exceptions, volcanic action contributes to global cooling...
JT
Alex Magdaleno wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–
I'm still waiting for OT post's to prove to have anything to do with alt.autos.Studebaker, or changing anybody's mind about anything.
Alex Magdaleno wrote: I'm still waiting for that scientific web page proving that volcanic activity has much to do with ocean warming.

βœ–

Site Timeline