DBII -> USB/serial port cable?

Anyone know of a source for one of these to connect a laptop to the DBII port on Dodges? Only place i've found is offering one for $200 - which is friggin ridiculous.

Reply to
Brewster

I don't think the price is ridiculous. Just what interface do you think is compatible on your laptop to this SAE controller port? You not only require a cable, you also need a SAE bus controller card and the software to drive it. Steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

Come on Steve, I want it, the software and some one to do the work for me, like everything else, FOR FREE!

Reply to
azwiley1

Do you just want a simple code reader? You can get those for a lot less:

Or, here's a USB to OBD-II interface for $70:
You could also get a complete package (hardware/software) for $80 here:
Amazing technology, that Google is...

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

"Tom Lawrence" wrote in news:47436ff2$0$68475$ snipped-for-privacy@auth.newsreader.octanews.com:

Watch out, Tom - people giving serious answers to serious questions on this group are likely to be challenged.

No - I already have a code reader. I was given the softwear I need to connect to my Dodge, but the cable was not available.

Thanks for those two other links - I'll give them a look.

Reply to
Brewster

The way I see it, it takes two people to have a pissing contest. If you don't participate, the other guy is just standing there looking rediculous :)

I also found some plans for building your own interface, if you're into the electronics thing. Parts came out to less than $20, if I remember (but that was assuming you already had the stuff to etch a PC board). Too messy for me anymore.

But understand that for OBD-II, it's more than just a cable. It is an actual interface converter, as you need to convert the OBD-II protocol to RS-232. But I agree, $200 is a bit out of line, especially given the price of some of the previously-linked products.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

In my experience, it's only absurd if someone else has it cheaper...

I can't see the cable or the software at that price for anyone BUT a pro... They can hopefully do enough work to get a return on their investment, but most folks aren't going to spend $1,200 on getting their codes read in their lifetime.. YMWV

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis