Dodge Dually Wheel Removal

Hello,

I have a 2002 Dodge Dually, CTD, 4x4, extended cab. About 120,000 miles. It runs fine. Best riding and reliable truck I have ever owned and I tend to semi-abuse them.

Is it possible to remove the inner rear wheels; just leaving the outer rear wheels in place without any bad affects? I was thinking that might help with the fuel mileage a bit. I very rarely carry anything heavy, so, reducing the load carrying capacity is not a concern.

Thanks for any advice.

Clint ===

Reply to
61Panhead

I don't know anyone who had gained by doing that, and IMHO, it looks a bit funky...

The #1 impact on fuel economey is driving style!

That said, there was a guy around here who tried it. He doesn't do it anymore but I've never asked why he stopped. I suspect the main reason was that he wasn't seeing any difference in either handling or mileage.

Reply to
PeterD

No real harm in doing so, but no real gain, either. Unless you spend all your time driving in a circle, the little bit of tire scrub you'll prevent won't have an appreciable impact on your MPG. You'll probably gain more MPG with a tonneau cover than by pulling the inner wheels.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

I would like to see some proof that a tonneau cover helps fuel mileage...

i know riding around with no tailgate doesnt

Reply to
Picasso