Dodge truck transmissions

I have an interest in a new 1/2 ton Ram Crew Cab, gas engine, automatic transmission.

My friend Chris warns against the thought given the history of Dodge transmission failures. A Google search of the issue yields sufficient evidence that there is/was a serious problem.

I hear also the problematic transmissions were built in Mexico, and the problem seems to have been remedied since manufacture of the part was returned to U. S. soil.

Does anyone have knowledge of the current reliability of the transmissions being built today. ?

rlk

Reply to
rlk

Problems were had with the early 46RE and 47RE models, due to a combination of inadequate lube flowing to the OD unit, especially at lower RPMs, and lack of maintenance.

The truck you're now looking at uses a completely-redesigned transmission, the 545RFE. This transmission has been produced for several years now, and very few problems (there will always be some - it's inevitable) have been reported.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

I agree with the above, I have one and know several people that have

2003's to 2006 Rams and none have had any trans problems. Can't say the same for my neighbor's 2 2005 F150s that puked out (on two trucks, the second was a lemon law replacement) 3 times with no warning except for the last time, when reverse took several minutes to engage, and it totally blew the next morning when he attempted to drive it to the dealer. He said goodbye Ford, and has a Cummins 2500 Ram on order...

My one friend had a Windstar that ate an amazing number of trannys in

36K. It was a lease, and was he glad to see it go away..

BDK

Reply to
BDK