Durango Calipers

Last time I replaced the brakes/rotors I noticed chips of ceramic falling out from the pistons on the front brake calipers of '99 4x4 Durango. Can they be rebuilt or should I replace the whole caliper. I'm getting ready to do another pad/rotor replacement and figured this would be the time. Where would the best value to get parts or replacements.

-- J. Dan Jones, III Virginia Peninsula Car Club Council Vintage Chevrolet Club of America #41139 Corvair Society of America Tidewater Corvair Club Steel City Classics

Reply to
J. Dan Jones

They can, but it's often easier, quicker, and even cheaper to just buy a set of remanufactured calipers (these have already been rebuilt). They should run about $30 a piece, and there will be a core charge for you to return your old calipers. You can often save a little more by buying 'loaded' calipers - meaning they also come with pads.

As far as where to purchase, any auto parts store will do.

But - that aside... brake pad material falling out from the pistons isn't a reason to replace the caliper. The piston is steel, and it's hollow - it will collect brake material as the pads wear. The only reason to replace a caliper is if it's leaking around the seals, or if it's sticking and causing brake drag.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Sounds more like parts of the piston are breaking off. You can buy them too.

Reply to
PJ

Pretty sure these pistons are ceramic, or maybe they have ceramic followers behind the pistons that absorb the heat from the pads. Don't know Mopars though. All I know about Durangos is they have weak front end components, mine has been completely rebuilt coming up on 90,000 miles. all highway and local urban grocery trips. I'll probably get the loaded ones although I believe the Raybestos pads have a lifetime warrantee, which appears to be about 35,000 miles. china rotors are only $19 so they are a disposable item. Thanks. JDJ

Reply to
J. Dan Jones

Rebuilding calipers just isn't worth the effort any more. A rebuild kit cost almost as much as a caliper. I don't bother.

Reply to
.boB