E85 Conversion Kit

Anyone out there know of any "known good, reliable, and simple" E85 conversion kit that fits and works on the Dodge 4.7L V8?

Reply to
Abby.Normal

Why would you want to do that?

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

Maybe the OP justs wants to break Federal emissions laws? Since there are NO legal conversion kits made.

Reply to
Steve W.

No. I was only wondering. I certainly do not want to contribute to our future food shortages as a result but something will have to be done and I was just looking at options and trying to educate myself on it. I love the Dodge product but MoPar has never seemingly been concerned with gas mileage when designing them. They are about the worse offenders of miles-per-gallon of any vehicle I know. I am only looking of ways to improve mine.

I see Flex Fuel, which was >> Why would you want to do that?

Reply to
Abby.Normal

If you want to stay with a V8 Mopar gas truck, your best bet just might be the Hemi with MDS. Another option might be a turbo-diesel. E85 and flex-fuel are just short term stopgaps, and not very good ones at that.

"Abby.Normal" wrote in news:473c8ff1$0$5013$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

Reply to
Joe

I don't understand why the MDS system can't be an add-on or modification to any V8. But then again, I don't understand the details behind it either. I do know it's mostly electrical though. I would go for that in a heartbeat if it were available.

Reply to
Abby.Normal

It's not mostly electrical - the biggest part of it is the solenoid-deactivated lifter that stops the valves from operating. To retrofit MDS into an existing engine would require a new block to house the special lifters, solenoids, and oil passages to fee the solenoids - essentially requiring a whole new engine.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

I stand corrected, than you. I guess there is not much that can be done besides telecommuting when I can.

Reply to
Abby.Normal

You could always trade for a new one..

"Abby.Normal" wrote in news:473cea6f$0$32498$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

Reply to
Joe

Does MDS actually work?

Earlier attempts (Cadillac back in ???) were rather disastrous, but I suppose computer technology has improved to the point that turning "on" and "off" a cylinder of a running engine can now work reliably.

Still seems there must be a mechanical component of the system that must take a beating doing what it needs to do.

How much mpg gain does one get out of this system? Seems a lot of complexity for only 1-2 mpg if that's all there is.

SMH

Reply to
Stephen Harding

it IS a new one. I just bought it in July.

Reply to
Abby.Normal

Stephen Harding wrote in news:gX5%i.8714$NC.7224 @trndny07:

Supposedly.

From what I've read, the two systems are worlds apart.

Probably no more of a beating than the pistons inside the cylinders.

Not sure of the specifics, but I'm sure they're out there waiting to be found..

Reply to
Joe

You would think it could just be done electronically... I mean - don't energize the fuel injector, and don't fire the plug (not that it would really matter without any fuel). I guess that pumping so much regular air (rich in oxygen) through the exhaust would confuse the hell out of the O2 sensors (and probably burn up the cats, too), so they have to disable the intake/exhaust valves on the 'dead' cylinders.

Ah well... hydrogen power is just around the corner, anyway. In 30 years or so, we'll all laugh about how much we used to pay for gasoline. Yeah..... sure..... :)

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

I think you miss the point here. E85 has a lot less heat energy in it than gas so MPG would be less because you would have to burn more fuel and in cold climates E85 would not be user freindly and have cold running issues even with fuel injection. ( BTW it is the heat of expanding gasses that drives a IC engine and with lower heat content fuel, more must be burned) In theory you could build a engine to run only on E85 with a much high compression ratio (E85 has a lot higher octane) to extract more energy from fuel and minimize MG loss and boost power too but this will never happen with a detriot vehicle.

Personally I do not see E85 as a solution. It is more of a political solution than anything else as it plays well for them. Last I read if every scrape of grain that could be converted to fuel was used (and none left for fuel) it would only make about 1/3 of daily fuel needs for nation. Even eth from switch grass and such is not much of a solution long term but it plays well politically and is some quick money for some in industry. There is something wrong with taking food off tables and putting it fuel tanks as food prices are rising because of this so you are paying even more to drive your beast. The real answer lies in making vehicles truely more fuel efficent and stretch supplies further rather than trying to find new ways to feed current hungry fleet. Sure I have some big iron but I only drive it when I need it not as a daily solution as I depend more and more on thrifty 4 bangers for daily chores. Cheaper in long run because big iron lasts a lot longer too.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

You know even doped up after knee surgery, his posts are still unbearable.

Reply to
azwiley1

I guess I'm only looking for more miles per gallon from something but don't want to contribute to shorting our food supply for it.

maybe a compost burning oxygen generating engine will work if only someone would just invent it.

Reply to
Abby.Normal

What happened to your knee??

Denny

Reply to
Denny

Abby, the only real way to get the most MPG out of it is to watch how you drive, take off from stops and keep up on the maintenance of it. It is a V8 after all.

Reply to
azwiley1

They are both tore up from the years in the Army and the right knee has just been getting worse over the last few years, so it was either fix it now or continue to suffer. Luckily it was not a complete reconstruction so I will be up and around again real soon.

Reply to
azwiley1

It's good to hear that you'll be on it soon. Any surgury sucks.

Denny

Reply to
Denny