Flywheel torque value

4x4, 2500, V8, NV4500

Can't seem to find the torque value for the flywheel...anyone happen to know?

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

70 ft. lbs. according to an '03 FSM.
Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Thank you Tom.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

Tom, I also rad that it is not recommended to machine the flywheel due to a special contour on the clutch mating surface. Can you explain the reason for the contour and if I were to resurface it via machining, what drawbacks would I run into?

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

You've obviously confused me with someone who knows WTF he's doing :)

Sorry - my understanding of clutches doesn't go that deep.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

not Tom but the contour is for smoother release/engagement of the clutch. If you took a straight edge and held it across the flywheel you would see it isn't flat like you would expect, it is VERY slightly concave. The idea is that the contour "slips" the clutch as it engages and makes it smoother. The pressure plate is ground the opposite way so they mate together. However if you machine BOTH so they are flat the only thing you will run into is that YOU control the clutch more.

Reply to
Steve W.

HHmm, then I'm thinking I need to check the pressure plate on the Centerforce setup I'm installing. It wouldn't do much good to have a straight plane on one and a contour on the other unless I didn't want complete contact pressure across the entire surface.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works