Body Mount Bolt Torque

Having just installed a MORE 1" body lift on my '94 YJ, I couldn't find any torque specs for the bolts in the factory manual or any other tech reference. Anyone care to guess what the spec should be?

Reply to
Jerry McG

Well, they have metal inserts in them so they can't be compressed too much, so I just made mine tight with some loctite on the threads to hold them. I am guessing I put about 25 ft lb on them.

Mine have stayed put for 3 years. Well, 2 years actually, I had to loosen them all off to put the tub back on straight after a roll over. ;-)

Mike

Jerry McG wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
Steve G

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

The mount kit I got has metal sleeves inside the top donuts that stick out 1/2" or so. This tube bushing goes through the frame wing hole with another donut on the bottom.

So when the bolt is tightened tight, the washers come up hard against the metal tube inside the donuts with the frame plate sandwiched in-between.

This makes it a rubber shock absorber in both the down and up directions.

Exactly the same idea as the spring shackles with the metal tube insert so the rubber bushings can't be compressed too much.

Mike

"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Thanks, Mike. The old ones were a bear to get out, between what appeared to be old thread lock and a bit of corrosion on the old bolts, the captive nuts and the lower bushings. I ended up replacing all the metal sleeves and the lower bushings with new stock items and retained the uppers which were in fine shape. Unfortunately one of the three large ones on the passengers side came out with the threads from the captive nut, so I had to patch it with a helicoil. The left rear had snapped off years ago, so I used this opportunity to remove the captive nut and what remained of the bolt and just installed it with a nut & washer. Then came the concern as to what exactly the torque ought to be. I ended up going 45 ft lbs on the 5 7/16's bolts and

55 on the big ones. Didn't seen to crush the sleeves at all.

Now the weird part was aligning the body on the frame, which from the factory was never straight to begin with. I just moved it a big lady foot using the control point holes on the frame & body. I got the tub spot on from the front of the rear wheel wells to the tire treads and all the measurements from the frame to the tub came out on the money. We got to the front, took some measurements and realized the grille panel and fenders had never been aligned right from the factory, they tilt to the right just a bit. The thing's never been whacked or anything, just good old Jeep ... "aw, that's close enough" specifications!

Reply to
Jerry McG