Freeze Plugs or Core Plugs

I have lived in northern MN, and ND for all my 47 years and a 50/50 mix works fine. In fact even less will get you by, but the coolant may turn to slush on the coldest days. And believe me, I have seen -40 more than once! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Response to All: After reading your responses, I thank you all! I now have a good picture on what occurred: It's not just the mileage...it's the time as well that's equally important.

Even though my truck was at 42K miles it was also 5 years old without a coolant flush. If the dealer never changed the coolant when I bought it in Oct 2002 with 15K miles and I never did a coolant flush until the core plugs failed in Mar 2005 at 42K miles, then it was way overdue by the TIME factor. I will take it to get flushed more often (maybe every

6 months) to be sure the cooling system is clean. Now, I worry about my radiator.

As for the mix, I just use the recommended by the manufacturer. If they are wrong shame on them and they will be hurting all their customers and their revenue stream $$$$$. BTW: I live in San Antonio TX, it's very hot but not many cold days below 32 F.

-JS

Reply to
JoeySamone

Yup, 50-59 works pretty well here in New England. You have to remember we are dealing with Hole here.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Mores Law.

"If more is good, too much is just right."

I suspect that your practice of running high anti-freeze concentrations relates directly to you using propane/butane in your vehicles air conditioning; you can't get either to work correctly because of your lacking skill set so you hack a repair using non-standardized (and in one case, illegal and dangerous) butcher techniques.

In the trade, you're known as a "Bubba."

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Reply to
DonStaples

50/59?? What the hell is that! ;-) Greg
Reply to
Greg O

9 more than 50 I guess.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

">

The manufacturers use a 50-50 mizture based upon testing and chemical analysis. It has been proven to be the IDEAL ratio based upon millions of vehicles sold... nothing more.

By your analysis then, the anifreeze manufacturers should want to increase sales by recommending a higher ratio, right? Visit any antifreeze manufacturers website and you will see that the recommended ratio is 50-50. Are they not interested in profit.... please explain that dichotomy? In fact many offer a pre-mixed product in a 50-50 ratio? If they like every other business was only interested in profit would they not offer a 70-30 products as you suggest? Please explain that if you can.

THere was a time that detriot said 40/60 was best too. The

I don't understand the physics behind it? That's a hoot! I'm a degreed engineer with a major in EE and a minor in physics. I have been employed in the auto industry for over 35 years, the last 18 with DaimlerChrysler. I am ASE certified, I am a member of the Society of Automotive Engineers, I am on the advisory board of the local voactional college and a member of the advisory board for DaimlerChrysler training. Those are my credentials, what about yours?

Sorry to say this Snoman, but the others are right.... you are making yourself look like a fool... it's very sad... very sad, indeed.

Mike

Detriot loves lambs to can be easily lead to

"'tis better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt..." Mark Twain

Reply to
Mike Simmons

No wonder you have this infatuation with heated leather seats....

Denny

Reply to
Denny

smartass!

;^)

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

yup we have noticed. that's the problem he wont answer the questions.

here ill ask again, and yes SnoMan I'm going to ask until you answer.

tell me where I can find a "Knock Sensor" on a 8.0L v10 (488) you claim or imply its there.

Reply to
Chris Thompson

I have electrical and mechanical engineering background yours is likey pure BS. I would expect a answer like yours from someone that is really clueless on how and why things work. What you do not understand you dismiss as BS and attack the source of it.. Knock yourself out if this is the only way you can get your fix..

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Again Detriot loves these lambs. You know they spend a lot of time and writing the owners manual at a low enough comprehension level for you guys to read and take as the bible. If you would REALLY read you might learn something.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Not wise it starts to slush at minus 34. If you were realy that on the ball with this you would not be risking 50/50 at 40 below. The only thing that saved you is that when anti freeze freezes it goes through a slush stage first for a while and rated freeze temp and has to get a lot colder to get solid. I promise you that if you take a bucket of

50/50 and set it outside at 40 below, you will have a big slushy not liquid. Detriot has got to love you guys.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Hole, I do want to learn something. Why don't you answer the questions in the V-10 thread?

Reply to
Roy

What school/university did you attend??? What degree do you have??? The answer to this and the v-10 timing concern will shut a bunch of us up. Of course, no answer to either one will result in that pure BS you're talking about..

Denny

I would expect a answer like yours from someone that is

Reply to
Denny

Never had any trouble at less than 50/50. Never had a slushy at 50/50 either. I had a slushy once with a vehicle with maybe a 20/80 mix at -20 after it sat overnight. It was a company truck that someone else was in charge of. I found out that the mix was light! It never froze hard enough to break anything, but I had to take my time starting the engine 4-5 times until the coolant would flow through the radiator. Trust me 50/50 will never be a problem or we would have had cracked farm equipment engine blocks every winter!

Sno, don't you find it strange that you are all alone on this, and many other points?? Can you find ONE reputable source to back you claims?? Please post the links!

Reply to
Greg O

Notice that Hole did not say he had a degree in anything only a background. I'm sure we all could testify to the fact that Hole has a degree in BS.

Reply to
Roy

Do ya think ol' tender toosh has tested them yet? There have been some cool nights.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Yes, ol' "tender tush" has tested them in prepartaion for winter... can't be too careful I always say..... at least when y'all are freezing your Yankee asses off mine will be nice and toasty... thank you very much!

;^)

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons